Location: London, UK
About the Department
The Finance and Strategy team’s core mission is to help Deliveroo make more effective decisions. We aim to build long term company value, and we achieve this by setting company strategy, facilitating world-class execution, understanding and sharing the drivers of our business, delivering accurate financial results, all while managing risks and keeping an eye out for opportunities. Finally, it’s critical that we continually foster and evolve a team culture to allow for each team member to thrive and grow.
What you’ll be doing
Support the Engineering team by using your strong understanding of Cloud Cost Optimization strategies to partner with our software architects, engineering, and DevOps teams to optimize costs while we scale our cloud environments. Partnering closely with key decision makers, you will lead and provide the buildout of data driven insight which supports decision making, and understand the P&L impact of these decisions. You’ll help translate product strategy into measurable financial reporting and ensure alignment of strategic objectives with budget and forecast development. You will also work with stakeholders to determine strategic initiatives to drive the long-term growth of the platform and three sides of the marketplace and be responsible for modelling the impact of those initiatives, informing that strategy with a range of qualitative and quantitative inputs and data. This role is perfect for someone who enjoys solving difficult problems, can manage various stakeholders, and has strong analytical capabilities with experience working with tech orgs.
Identify, recommend, and drive process improvement initiatives to enable efficiencies and scale across the organization.
Drive key resource allocation discussions as part of engineering scenario planning, including ROI-based economic trade-offs for resourcing deployment.
Partner with Engineering and People leadership to develop our model for rapidly scaling the Engineering team in the most efficient way.
Collaborate with senior Engineering and Product stakeholders to develop, track and analyse performance on strategic issues of importance impacting financial performance.
Lead your team to discover, analyze, and interpret trends or patterns in complex data sets to perform strategic analysis and research
Manage engineering and product financial KPIs/dashboards. Develop and/or enhance key metrics that bring insightful and actionable insights
Aid in strategic, financial and operational planning and execution of the overall company
The role will involve:
- You will work closely with infrastructure, data, and finance stakeholders to forecast and provide impactful analysis, insights, and recommendations as the primary manager of our cloud infrastructure spend. Work with engineering teams to identify optimization opportunities to maximize ROI on cloud resources and work towards making our cloud infrastructure cost efficient
- Be able to clearly present and communicate recommendations and findings to different engineering, Finance and leadership teams
- Develop, modify and maintain cloud costs and utilization reports, dashboards, and cost usage alerting and forecasting
- Monitor and identify increase in Cloud costs and other usage anomalies and be able to investigate into the source of these increases (Daily monitoring and daily and monthly reporting on cloud spend)
- Work to fully understand our product and the way it is architected and deployed in the cloud, and the associated costs for each portion of the environment
- Recommend savings opportunities related to cloud commitment purchases (Reserved Instances, Savings Plans, Spot, Committed/Sustained use) and track utilization of these commitments
- Partake in creating, maturing, and governing Cost Optimization policies and best practice
- Develop and define a strategy to drive tagging requirements to ensure proper tracking and reporting of data
- Understanding and influencing the underlying drivers of performance to help drive the top and bottom line
- Scenario modelling and business casing for multiple initiatives and layering this into financial planning
- Providing proactive, insightful, high quality analysis to support decision making (e.g. pricing)
- Partnering with the various teams to formulate and appraise appropriate strategies for their respective areas and support delivery of the overall business strategy and long-range plans
- Primarily focusing on business partnering with Functional Leaders/ Vice Presidents or Country General Managers and their teams
- Line management of an analyst
For this role you need to have the following skill set:
- 5+ years of experience working with large and complex cloud environments (AWS, OCI, GCP, or Azure) and/or managing cloud vendors in technical or hyper-scale settings and extensive knowledge of cloud technology and cost components/drivers
- Experience creating cloud cost optimization models with engineering teams that utilize cloud services
- Amazon Web Services Solutions Architect Associate a bonus
- Successful track record operating, building partnerships with, and influencing exec-level stakeholders, primarily with engineering and technology teams
- Experience using tools such as CloudHealth, AWS Cost explorer, Redshift, Quicksight, Athena and other analytics tools to advise on optimization opportunities
- Experience and good understanding of cost management tactics, i.e., enterprise wide discount programs and commitment plans, Savings Plans, Reserved Instances, Committed Use Discounts, chargeback reporting, show back, and spend control
- SaaS or high-growth consumer technology experience strongly preferred
- Ambitious, entrepreneurial, pragmatic, commercial, highly analytical, clear communicator, comfortable with ambiguity
- Excel at solving unstructured problems
- Proven ability to operate and succeed within a fast-paced environment
- Advanced complex financial modelling and analytical skills (advanced Excel required, SQL a bonus)
- Degree in Finance, Engineering, Computer Science, Business, Economics or other quantitative fields
Why Deliveroo? When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We’re a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.