When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 7 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 6 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 70,000 riders who deliver orders from 80,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are already transforming the way people think about food, providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three-sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauces that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started.
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
The Data Services team builds (and maintains) services, tools and infrastructure for the Data Platform, used by the Engineering Organization at Deliveroo.
We are involved in the production readiness of inter-service communication infrastructure as well as for data pipelines in support of machine learning, analytics and data-intensive applications. We set the overall engineering strategy for the integrity, reliability and timeliness of critical business data from the point where it’s generated through to multiple, varied business use cases. People in our team use software and systems engineering skills to design and debug complex distributed systems. You could be a good fit to join us if you are comfortable working with unfamiliar codebases, including internal, open source and 3rd party code we depend on.
We need skilled software engineers who enjoy solving infrastructure and data problems with code. We don't expect you to meet all of the below but would love you to have experience in some of these areas.
- Pride in readable, well-designed, well-tested software
- Experience with various data technologies, in particular analytics, aggregation, search and streaming technologies such as Spark, ElasticSearch and MPP data warehouses, Flink, Kafka and Kafka Streams.
- Experience with operating systems, configuration management and "Infrastructure as Code". (We use AMIs, Docker Images, Terraform and Kubernetes).
- Experience with monitoring Web applications (We use Datadog, Sentry).
- Our core applications involve use of Scala, so we’re looking for engineers with experience in JVM programming languages in production environments (Java or Kotlin would also be appropriate), and use of relevant frameworks (Akka, FS2).
- Experience in data engineering type roles that involve partnering with others in the product/application space to ensure that data is treated like a 1st class citizen from the outset of product development.
- Professional experience writing infrastructure services and applications in any language, and a willingness to quickly get up to speed on the wider Deliveroo engineering stack (Ruby/Rails, Go and, Python).
- Experience with VMs, containers and serverless compute platforms. (We use AWS for compute, e.g. EC2, ECS and Lambda).
- Ability to work with unfamiliar codebases, including internal, open source and 3rd party code we depend on.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with a very large impact, seeking to solve some of the most interesting challenges out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and the entire company is very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours to work on. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role, to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around.