When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We’re a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.
What you'll be doing:
You will help to shape the global communications strategy and implement that strategy in Australia. You'll lead on all corporate-related media communications and all public affairs in Australia, working with our GM on a daily basis. You'll also work closely with our Heads of Operations and Commercial Director. More specifically, you will:
- Lead on all reactive media for Australia, as well as planning and delivering proactive interventions each month
- You'll manage an external communications agency
- You'll be an adviser: explaining the communication implications of policy and operational decisions.
- You'll lead on all political and stakeholder engagement for Deliveroo, including with Government Ministers and officials, Parliamentarians, trade unions and employer and other business groups.
- You'll set and execute Deliveroo's strategy on stakeholder relations, briefing the General Manager and other senior stakeholders as appropriate, as well as acting as a spokesperson for the company in senior meetings.
The role will be part of determining how Deliveroo leads the technology sector in engaging with issues such as the future of work, sustainable transport and the role of technology. These are all present and Deliveroo intends to play a positive and leading role in the debate. For example, in the debate about the future of work, the business went public with its views, calling for an overhaul of current legislation to end the trade off between flexibility and security in work.
The communications and policy team is a vital part of the business. It is this team’s job to effectively communicate the positive impact Deliveroo is having for customers, restaurants, riders and local economies. The team includes policy, public affairs, corporate and consumer communications, events and visits and stakeholder communications. Alongside the team in the London HQ, the team wants communications and public affairs specialists in-market.
Working in corporate affairs in Deliveroo means being involved early in decisions, whether on policy or operational matters. Communications at Deliveroo is not about producing a press release once decisions are made but rather about helping the business get its proposition right for consumers, restaurants, riders and all stakeholders, and about coming up with proactive positive ideas to tell Deliveroo’s story.
Deliveroo is doing something brand new - helping change the way people think about food, work and restaurants run their businesses - and with that comes questions from policy-makers and opinion formers, with whom Deliveroo wishes to engage proactively and positively.
Skills you'll need:
- You'll be energetic: the hyper pace of Deliveroo’s business and the number of issues it is involved in means this is a role which requires engagement and enthusiasm
- An enthusiasm for up-to-the-minute, difficult media issues. You'll be proactive in picking up the phone to journalists and to form strong relationships with them. Business editors, political journalists and tech correspondents are all highly relevant.
- Excellent, thoughtful judgement.
- Experience in crisis communications.
- An excellent understanding of the political landscape in Australia.
- A demonstrable record of success in campaigning and influencing political decision-making in Australia, with strong pre-existing relationships.
- You'll have an in-depth understanding of the policy and regulatory issues facing companies in the on-demand economy.
- A proactive attitude and a desire to learn about and help make decisions right across the business, from commercial and operational decisions to HR policies.
- You'll be excited by the prospect of being at the cutting edge of new developments in the global economy and working for a market leader which is expanding at record pace.
- A good understanding of the complexity of policy and societal issues which Deliveroo may be involved in, and a desire to ‘shape the debate’ with Deliveroo’s work.
- Become one of the key employees of a fast-growing, exciting startup changing the food delivery landscape
- Open, respectful and fun company culture
- Snacks and drinks provided (although not unlimited, you will never go thirsty or hungry)
- Friday lunches on us from the best local restaurants
- 20 days of Annual Holiday Leave plus public holidays, additional leave days for years of service
- “Workout Wednesday” weekly exercise classes close to the office and a ClassPass Corporate discount.
- Weekly Exercise classes close to the office
- Meal allowance if you are required to work late
- Free Deliveroo Plus - Free delivery and access to special offers
- Amazing HQ offices located in Melbourne CBD
- Excellent kit to enable working from home and a parent-friendly working culture
- Enhanced Maternity & Paternity benefits
- Quarterly celebrations with the wider team, end of year parties & regular social events
Diversity and Inclusion:
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.