When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges, and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 14 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants, and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real-time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest-growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
Purpose of the role
To ensure all site areas, equipment and utensils are kept clean and hygienic at all times and to assist in the preparation of food items as directed
- Ensure a high standard of hygiene, cleanliness & housekeeping is maintained throughout the premises at all times
- Follow cleaning schedules at all times, including throughout the shift and during set-up and close-down
- To be hospitable, cooperative and polite with any visitors and fellow team members at all times
- Assisting your colleagues whenever and wherever possible, promoting excellent teamwork
- Ensuring all required processes and practises are followed at all times, including Food Safety / Health & Safety controls
- Following reasonable instruction from the management team and carrying out miscellaneous duties as required
- Complete washing up duties to ensure that supplies of all utensils, crockery and equipment are readily available at all times and stored correctly for food service; ensure dirty items are routinely collected, cleaned and returned as needed
- Operate the dishwasher in a safe and hygienic manner; prepare the dishwasher for the days use by checking that it is in full working order, has sufficient chemicals for operation, and that it is cleaned as directed; advise the management team of any faults or chemical shortages as required
- Keep all kitchens, storage areas and the rest of the premises clean, neat and tidy at all times, including the cleaning of all surfaces, walls, floors, fridges, shelving, cupboards and trolleys as necessary
- Complete cleaning duties as required by cleaning rotas and instructions of the management team; ensure that you always “clean as you go”
- To maintain a clean and tidy personal appearance and always work in an manner in line with Food Safety / Health & Safety requirements; complete all safety training as required for your role
- Complete COSHH training and use chemicals as trained and in a safe manner; ensure the safe storage of all chemicals at all times
- Report any potential hazards, accidents or breaches of safety protocols to a manager immediately
- Assist with the unloading, checking, putting away and storage of food and equipment deliveries; store food items correctly and in rotation to minimise wastage, maintaining all company labelling and dating processes; communicate any problems with deliveries to the management team immediately; ensure that the correct delivery in procedure is always followed
- Make sure that your designated machines and equipment are kept clean and all cleaning schedules are followed
- Ensure that all rubbish, food waste and any other waste is removed safely and disposed of in the correct containers
- To assist with the training of other team members as required; attend training sessions and meetings as required
- Complete food safety training; assisting with food preparation tasks as required; prepare customer orders to specification and in-line with Food Safety procedures
- Maintain excellent standards of conduct at all times, helping to promote a positive working atmosphere; being on time for all shifts as per your rota; always clocking in and out of every shift; maintain good communication with the management team about any potential problems that may affect your work in whatever way
- To complete any duties assigned to you by the management team on a shift basis
Personal qualities & attributes
- Good communication skills including a willingness to listen and learn
- Friendly, professional persona
- Positive attitude to work and a team player
- Reliable and trustworthy
- Clean & well-presented appearance
- Flexible and committed
- Motivated to do a good job with excellent standards of work
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with a very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their minds? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.