Job Title: Senior User Researcher
Location: Cannon Street, London
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
The Content, Research and Design team defines how customers, riders, restaurants and employees interact with Deliveroo’s products. Based in London, our work as researchers takes us to restaurant kitchens in Paris, riders in Amsterdam and customers’ homes in Singapore.
As a User Researcher at Deliveroo, you'll work with teams across the entire company to help them build understanding of the people they serve every single day.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Be responsible for the planning, delivery and analysis of research projects that support and inform your team's work both in the short and long term
- Shape strategy and vision for your product area together with product managers
- Contribute to cross-team initiatives that make the Content, Research & Design practice at Deliveroo better – including improving our hiring process, expanding our community presence, interviewing potential new team members, and much more
- Work in the way that works for you. You'll contribute new techniques, methods and ways of working that the team can learn from.
The products we work on are as diverse as the users we serve. We’re fortunate to be in a company where User Research is truly valued across the organisation. So during your time at Deliveroo, you’ll be exposed to a number of very different areas, such as:
- Exploring how we can work better for our Restaurants
- Understanding how we can make our apps better for Riders
- Gathering insight on how Customers think about ordering food
- Spending time with our Employees so we can make better tools for them
We value intellectual humility, an eagerness to learn, and the ability to move quickly when needed. But above all else, we're looking for unique personalities with varied backgrounds that add something new to our team.
This role is for you if you:
- Are analytical, empathetic, and a great listener (but also a good conversation starter!)
- Have an innate understanding of people, their motivations and thought processes
- Have several years' experience working in User Research
- Have experience working on both formative and evaluative research projects
- Have experience in a wide range of methodologies, e.g. interviews, diary studies, ethnography, surveys, usability testing
- Are comfortable presenting research findings to senior stakeholders, and working with them to inform business and product strategy
- Ideally have a degree in psychology, sociology, or related discipline - although this is not required
- Have a great appetite (we love eating!)
- Have a good sense of humour
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.