Deliveroo is on a mission to transform the way the world thinks about food delivery. It’s not a chicken chow mein and a night on the sofa anymore, it’s your favourite local restaurant, it’s a dinner party, a date.
We’re four years in, and along the way our team have taken hundreds of ideas from brainstorms to global rollouts, like Deliveroo Editions bespoke kitchens designed to host a locally curated selection of restaurants. Editions are our solution to ensuring that our customers have access to the best of the food scene, no matter where they live.
And that’s just what we’re like at Deliveroo, no compromise allowed and lots of food inspired challenges to get your teeth into. Out of the box thinking is actively encouraged and we move quickly to make great ideas happen. We’re energetic, fast paced and blow off steam with free for all Friday lunches.
It’s a formula that’s working too we’re bringing great food to customers in 12 countries and over 100 cities.
At Deliveroo we’re striving to build London’s best engineering organisation.
As a Software Engineer you will play a key role within our Infrastructure and Security Team. We have a "customer-first, live service-first" mindset, and we enable our teams to affect change with speed, ease & confidence. The reliability of our Deliveroo service, innovation in our production platform, and "engineer happiness" in our toolchain are our biggest priorities. You will need excellent software development or systems engineering skills, a passion for solving the problems of our fellow engineers, to enjoy working in a constantly evolving start-up, and steering the strategic direction of crucial functions like service reliability and infrastructure management.
- Guide the architecture & implementation of new products
- Find and define secure means for all of our product teams to achieve their goals
- Build tools and libraries to “engineer-away” the complexities of secure software
- Build tools to monitor, detect and block security shenanigans and other badness.
- Improve the security of the extant codebase, both directly (by fixing code) and indirectly (by fixing engineers)
Things You Love to Do
- Pride in creating readable, reasonable, well-designed, well-tested code
- “Very Full Stack” - full stack is good + Networking, Firewalls or Kernel is great
- Quickly get up to speed on our stack (Ruby/Rails, Python or Scala)
- Coding for security: authentication, access control, roles, capabilities, memory-safe languages
- Basic cryptography: certificates, public/private-key algorithms, hashing & HMAC, OpenSSL, NaCl, Blockchain...
Things That Earn Bonus Points
- Front-end Web technology (we use React)
- Wrangling Web Architectures “at scale” (20krpm and up) for Security & High Availability
- Programming in Go or Elixir
- Building libraries and/or APIs for other developers
- Free food and LOTS of it
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- A brand new extremely impressive and fun office complete with nap room, onsite gym, basketball court and a roof top overlooking Tower Bridge
- Subsidised gym membership
- Top-notch kit. Bring your own or we'll get you a shiny new Macbook and stuff.
- An extremely fun team to work alongside!
- Abundance of great online learning courses delivered by global universities
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.