United Kingdom & Ireland (UK&I) is the largest business for Deliveroo and is at the forefront of strategic, commercial and operational innovation. Functions include commercial, operations and marketing, and teams in the UK&I partner closely with global functions such as product, technology and consumer to deliver results for our customers.
Regional UKI presents one of the biggest growth opportunities available to Deliveroo and we are building a team of commercially savvy, entrepreneurial and ambitious individuals to help us fulfil our potential.
Reporting directly to the VP of Regional Growth for UK&I, the Regional Director (Ireland) is a core member of the UK&I Leadership team. You will own the development and delivery of the strategic and operational plans across all of the island of Ireland, including the added complexity that comes from leading the business across 2 countries, 2 currencies and 2 legislative environments. Specifically, the role includes responsibility for the success of the Irish restaurant portfolio and for ensuring that Deliveroo achieves its strategic goals in every location that it chooses to be present. Leading a team of 17 across Regional Management, Account Management and Field Sales, this role ideally suits someone looking to expand their General Management and people leadership experience in a role which has direct influence on the overall Deliveroo P&L.
You will collaborate closely with cross-functional teams including Operations, National Accounts, Grocery, Marketing and Finance to ensure that your region has the right plan and the right support to achieve its goals. As part of the Regional Leadership Team you will scale best practices from and into your Region. You will work closely with Deliveroo central teams to provide high quality partner feedback, influence future roadmaps and ensure new product initiatives are executed with excellence in your region. As you develop in the role, you should expect to drive cross-functional and cross-business projects, and contribute to future thought leadership.
This role has a significant impact in terms of revenue growth, customer satisfaction, P&L performance and employee engagement. It will demand excellence in analytical rigour and people leadership skills combined with Thinking Big, a results focus and a bias for action. Ireland poses some specific opportunities and challenges for Deliveroo - and a key part of this role is leading the thinking as to how Delieroo will resolve the challenges and realise the potential value. This will include innovating rather than adopting existing playbooks, plus testing and measuring new approaches to gain significant market share. The successful candidate will have a proven-track record of delivering commercial results whilst demonstrating the key skills required for success including: people leadership, strategic thinking, customer orientation, commercial acumen, impeccable stakeholder management, and excellent operating discipline.
What you’ll be doing:
- Build, coach and lead an exceptional commercial team that is engaged, inclusive and high-performing
- Create a compelling vision for the Ireland region with a strong sense of unity and desire to win together
- Recruit and coach team members that are commercially astute with high customer and partner centricity
- Co-develop, with the Regional Leadership Team, a targeted learning and development approach that unlock future business and personal potential for the team
- Foster collaboration throughout the organisation, demonstrating a deep understanding of stakeholder objectives and priorities, and understanding the benefit and importance of strong central / local collaboration.
- Define and implement the regional strategy for the Ireland Region to drive market share and to acquire and retain customers
- Define and drive the consumer value proposition (CVP) by key location across your region, agreeing plans with your Regional Manager and City Managers that ensure Deliveroo achieves its strategic goals locally;
- Work closely with operations partners to drive a program of operational improvements across the Ireland Region that enhance customer, rider and restaurant satisfaction with the Deliveroo proposition locally
- Establish review mechanisms with your teams to ensure that, whenever possible, regional customer satisfaction and operational issues are resolved effectively and with pace
- Champion the priorities and future success of your region, from farming successful locations to identifying and driving targeted expansion opportunities that will build future profitable growth
- Be the face of Deliveroo for your region positively influencing across all three sides of the Deliveroo marketplace and with local interested parties
- Support your team in delivering deep multi-functional relationships with our top mid-market partners to be the preferred delivery provider
- Build effective relationships with all senior leaders of our major mid-market partners in the Ireland Region
- Ensure that you proactively resolve commercial and executional issues that affect our managed partners, that are regional-specific, or that require positive escalation to resolve
- Establish review mechanisms with your teams to ensure that, whenever possible, partner issues are resolved effectively and with pace
- Manage the P&L for the Ireland Region to achieve or exceed our financial objectives
- Agree annual and quarterly plans, including resource allocation, financial budget and individual target setting for the locations and partners in your portfolio
- Support your team in achieving the sales and new restaurant on-boarding targets for the region, driving adherence to commercial policy as regards use of tools and, commission goals whilst driving a continuous improvement sales process in the region
- Support your team in negotiating commercial deals with the largest mid-market partners including the negotiation of terms and investments driving adherence to commercial policy as regards deal structure and return on investment
- Align, agree, and execute through your team, the strategy for exclusivity within the Ireland portfolio ensuring delivery of both CVP and P&L goals overall
- Agree annual plans, including resource allocation, financial budget and individual target setting for the locations and partners in the portfolio
- Engage in regular P&L review mechanisms contributing high quality insight and driving effective remedial plans to ensure goals are achieved
A typical candidate would have 10+ years of relevant experience in managing high-growth consumer facing businesses with a need for locally tailored value propositions. Prior people leadership experience is highly desirable, whilst experience leading sales teams and understanding retail or restaurant operations would be a definite plus.
You’ll also need to have:
- Exceptionally strong commercial skills (notably selling and negotiation) with broad experience in business development, marketing and general management
- Consistent track record of achieving and exceeding targets and unlocking meaningful business growth in a business already at scale
- Excellent commercial judgment based upon a strong vision for the market, backed by a rigorous and data-driven approach to identifying, prioritising and tackling opportunities
- Outstanding ability to establish effective B2B working relationships with a wide-range of business contacts at both leadership and operational levels and the diplomatic ability to manage the different, and sometimes conflicting, needs of stakeholders within this network
- Stellar people management skills with a history of attracting and developing exceptional talent
- Deep analytical capability embracing a data-driven approach to problems. Strong financial acumen and understanding of P&L management and an ability to drive unit economics, develop and manage budgets
- Confident communication skills with the ability to influence stakeholders across the organisation. Able to earn trust and respect with partner teams whilst keeping their own team and partner teams accountable to the highest standards
- A proven track record of delivering in a rapidly changing environment, dealing with ambiguity, and in high-pressure situations working to tight deadlines
- The resilience and resourcefulness to pursue opportunities relentlessly and with urgency.
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We’re a technology driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.