Head of Workplace Engineering - Enterprise Technology
About the Role:
The Deliveroo Enterprise Technology team conceives, designs, builds and sustains the internal tech services powering Deliveroo’s internal teams globally, as we transform the way customers eat. We continually drive service improvements and love to automate everything we can on our journey towards reliability.
As the Head of Workplace Engineering team, you’ll be working to help connect 4000 (and scaling) employees, wherever they are, across Deliveroo to adopt key workplace tools to ensure a seamless employee experience. This role will help define and develop the organisation’s digital workplace strategy to enhance employee engagement and collaboration to help design the digital workplace of the future. The team’s scope includes the whole ecosystem including laptops (Chromebook, Mac and Windows), mobile phones, office-based networking, Identity & Access Management engineering, product management and engineering of SaaS, core collaboration platforms including Google Workspace, Audio Visual and Meeting Room services
Workplace Engineering set out to make it easy for 4,000+ employees to use their digital workplace to seamlessly connect with people, ideas and expertise within and beyond Deliveroo. Our key to success is ensuring we understand the business needs of our internal clients, so that we can identify the relevant technologies that will benefit them and focus on helping them to adopt smarter ways of working. The team is also providing mission-critical build and operate networking services for our Editions and Hop business lines that are hyper-scaling internationally.
People leadership is your driver and what motivates you in your role, surfaced through coaching, mentoring and collaboration. Your main day-to-day focus will be on your people, your stakeholders & customers and your services. Challenging the status quo is your norm.
What You'll Be Doing:
- Be accountable for the vision, mission, strategy, operational stability and innovation in the Workplace Engineering domain.
- Build out a function to execute against agreed vision including teams for Networking, Mobile/devices, Workplace Engineering, (SaaS) Product Management, IAM, AV and Meeting Rooms.
- Continuously engage and align with senior leadership, stakeholders and external strategic partners to work towards a seamless experience of workplace technology.
- Fostering collaboration within and between teams
- Helping to build effective, visible and measured team processes that enable high throughput
- Supporting the team to roadmap and engineer operational improvements
- Maintain budget accountability over the focus Area
- In collaboration with Delivery experts, Develop the Digital Workplace program: Lead the planning, communication, assessments and implementation of key digital projects within Workplace
- Develop and Monitor analytics (qualitative and quantitative) of usage: You’ll need to regularly assess what tools are and are not working for the organisation and improve upon processes.
- Actively seek feedback from users and key stakeholders: You’ll run focus groups, capturing signals from users and work closely with key stakeholders to ensure their voices are represented.
- Developing and maintaining a comprehensive portfolio of standard end to end digital workplace products and services needed to support productivity, collaboration and communication
- Supporting local or regional office and individual business unit requirements in the area of footprint changes, legal and compliance requests, BCM and ITSCM events.
- Leveraging our global, regional and local vendors, suppliers and service provider relationships.
- Identifying and urgently addressing automation opportunities through coding and tools
- Ensuring high-quality Runbook documentation is created and maintained
- Acting as an escalation point for production issues that may occur outside of standard working hours
- Proven experience of building, leading, managing, mentoring and motivating a cross-functional technology team including coaching managers of teams.
- Confident in effective stakeholder management, dealing with multiple stakeholders at varied levels of the organisation – subject matter experts, functional leads, C-Suite - and going well beyond transactional interactions.
- Experience of championing digital productivity and driving initiatives on it's adoption.
- A methodical and logical approach to problem solving with a sense of ownership
- Skilled in setting and assessing objectives and planning structured work for teams and routinely improving working practices
- Driven, self-starter without requiring close supervision, collaborative, comfortable adapting to change and learning quickly in a dynamic organisation.
- Excellent interpersonal skills
- Good understanding of service management (ITIL) including Change Management, formal Service Levels and process design
- Excellent knowledge of End User Computing at scale
- Significant automation experience.
- Cultural awareness and international experience
- Extensive listening and communication skills with strong attention to both, the big picture/ system overall as well as on the details/ the individuals within
- A 'can do' mentality with strong motivational skills and the ability to react dynamically, effectively and efficiently to an everyday changing environment
- A curious mind that explores all and every possibility for continuous improvement and the ability to think and act conceptually, analytically and hands-on based on hard and soft data
- A good understanding of the full lifecycle of application management and common SaaS applications
- Confident in Lean and Agile practices
- Excellent ability to develop and present proposals and reports backed with analysed and visualised data
We’re also interested in…
- Experience of influence and partnership, both with and without direct authority over people
- Exposure to some of the following:
- SaaS management software
- Google Workspace (G-Suite)
- Managing Mac/Windows/Chromebook end user computing.
- Office Networking including wifi
- Audio Visual and Meeting Room technology
- Atlassian suite including Jira
- Data Studio / Looker
- Experience in creating insightful dashboards
- Experience of creating feedback loops
- Familiar with the application of modern workplace security practices
- Exposure to full SDLC
- Advanced ITIL certifications (v3 Expert / v4 Managing Professional)
- Advanced education including MBA