Senior Data Scientist - Customer Care Workforce Management
Data Science at Deliveroo
At Deliveroo we have a world-class data science organisation, with a mission to enable the highest quality human and machine decision making. We work throughout the company - in product, business and platform teams to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Our team members use technical skills from the whole spectrum of data science: building analytical tools; informing decision making at all levels of the business via bespoke and automated analysis; running experiments; performing causal analysis; informing planning and prioritisation with robust impact estimates; building production machine learning and optimisation models; and upskilling the entire company in data literacy and data driven decision making.
Data scientists at Deliveroo report into our data science management team, and we have a strong, active data science community, with guest lecturers; a robust technical review process; a career progression framework; and plenty of opportunities to learn new things. We have team members from all over the world, and have a dedicated data science diversity committee.
Further, we have career pathways for both managers and individual contributors.
About the Role
The central Customer Care management team is expanding rapidly and the Global Workforce Management & Planning team needs to mirror this growth in order to provide outstanding support to our Customer Care teams. We currently cover twelve markets across Europe, the Middle East and APAC.
We are looking for a data scientist from an algorithms background, to build intelligent decision making machines, primarily to work with the Global Workforce Management & Planning team to help develop and implement resource planning methodologies in order to drive efficiencies and bring a consistency of approach to all markets. You will have a high degree of autonomy and work on some of the most interesting problems at the intersection of riders, consumers, and restaurants relating to customer contacts.
You are someone who knows the fundamentals of machine learning and/or operations research and knows when they should be applied. You are a keen problem solver, able to think deeply about a business problem and devise a well-thought-out and pragmatic algorithmic solution. And you get satisfaction from working with non-technical stakeholders and seeing your algorithms shipped and driving measurable impact to the business.
- Ability to produce accurate workload forecasts accounting for trends and seasonality in contact rates and order volumes
- Ability to produce simulations and what-if scenarios to assist with business cases and provide headcount and cost projections to support managerial decision making
- Strong foundation in fundamentals of machine learning and/or operations research
- Significant experience building intelligent decision making machines from scratch in industry, designing and building MVPs that quickly get results
- Proficient in exploratory data analysis, model/algorithm selection, model pipeline development
- Ability to see the bigger picture and understand how your insights are aligned with the direction the business is heading in. You should also be proactive in gathering input from relevant stakeholders to enhance the accuracy and relevance of analysis you produce
- Comfortable working in a fast-moving environment with changing requirements
- Experience creating strong relationships with customer care operations and support teams and finance managers
- Communication skills that clearly present ideas, theories, and technical information to operations and managerial staff
It's a bonus if you have:
- Experience using a Workforce Management system in an administrative role within a customer care environment
- Experience deploying models to production and experiment monitoring
- Experience mentoring junior colleagues
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.