When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
We’re looking for talented people to join our expanding Finance function. As the scale and complexity of Deliveroo grows every day, we need dynamic, entrepreneurial, analytical thinkers to support in optimising decision making and drive quick, profitable growth. This is a perfect opportunity to become part of a team responsible for driving the strategic direction of the business. As a trusted business partner throughout the business you will be maintaining financial discipline throughout the company’s expansion.
The primary role of the Accounts Assistant is to support the Finance function with preparation of management and statutory accounts, day to day transactional accounting, and ad hoc projects in a fast moving company. Always seeking to be more accurate and more efficient, this role provides the opportunity to be involved in this progress, with input on creating and testing new processes. Sitting within the Europe team, you will get exposure to and experience of accounting in our European subsidiaries, the differing internal and external demands of them, and how these all combine within the larger group.
- Taking ownership of aspects of the monthly management reporting cycle, contributing to finding efficiencies, increasing accuracy and supporting the rest of the team.
- Responsible for reconciling and investigating variances in management accounts.
- Responsible for communicating with other teams to support internal review of management accounts.
- Supporting local teams with processing of payments.
- Reconciliation of, and investigation of variances in, the bank accounts of European subsidiaries.
- Key contact for transactional accounting queries and invoice creation, liaising between contacts in our European markets, treasury, and financial operations teams.
- Ad hoc projects as deemed necessary to support the business
- Part-qualified ACA, ACCA or CIMA or AAT qualified accountant (or equivalent by experience)
- Demonstrable relevant industry experience in a Management Accounting environment
- Ability to work independently as well as part of a wider team, with a willingness to help in all areas as required
- Track record of delivering results - you are willing to show initiative to generate results/meet deadlines
- Problem solving and decision-making skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and accounting softwares (NetSuite experience is desirable)
- Enjoy working in a fast changing, collaborative environment with ambitious targets designed to disrupt a major global market
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Work with people who love what they do every day, in an energetic and entrepreneurial culture
- Amazing HQ office located in central London with collaborative working spaces
- Discounted private healthcare, pension contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle-to-work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership.
- Maternity, paternity, and shared parental leave.
- Prayer room, nap room, and a stunning rooftop garden.
- Learning resources and support for attending/speaking at conferences.
- Friday lunches from our very own restaurant partners
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-ups around