Job Title: Data Scientist, Algorithms
Location: Cannon Street, London
Closing Date: 3 December 2019
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
As an Algorithms Data Scientist Lead at Deliveroo, you will:
- Bring extensive industry experience to bear on helping steer teams toward the most impactful scientific work
- Be a force multiplier: mentor and support teammates who have recently left academia and are new to industry
- Care about impact, and constantly seek out the necessary conversations to ensure that you build the right algorithm at the right time.
- Bring a combination of mathematical and scientific rigour, entrepreneurial thinking, and a hunger to build intelligent machines that drive the company forward
- Translate unstructured, complex business problems into practical, powerful algorithmic solutions
- Work closely with engineers, product managers, and designers
Some examples of the problems you might tackle in your new role:
- Develop general Machine Learning frameworks and tools to be used across different teams to build algorithmic solutions to business problems.
- Effectively combine routing algorithms with demand forecasting models, rider availability models, and restaurant scheduling models
- Effectively and automatically nudge riders to maximise their earnings while providing a delightful service to our customers
- Dynamically price our service
- Help customers discover great new restaurants that will delight them personally
- Target CRM and restaurant marketing campaigns to the customers that will find them most relevant
- Significant industry experience since the completion of your academic career.
- Masters degree or PhD (PhD preferred) in Computer Science, Machine Learning, Statistics, Operations Research, Mathematics, Econometrics, or other quantitative field.
- Proven track record of building effective algorithms at industry scale.
- Extensive experience with regression and classification modeling in a prediction/control setting, and strong grasp of the associated concepts.
- Experience in building Machine Learning pipelines for production use is useful.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.