We are looking for a People Partner to collaborate with our Tech org, which comprises our Engineering, Content, Research & Product Design, Product Analytics, Product and Growth teams. The role will be based in our HQ office in London.
Not many functions have as big an impact on Deliveroo’s global growth and success as the Tech Org. As one of the world’s fastest growing companies on the road to an IPO, we have a unique opportunity to create and tell one of the most compelling Tech stories yet, with Deliveroo’s Tech People Partners playing a key role.
The emphasis on individual freedom is key to how we manage the challenges of scaling up so fast. Our philosophy is to give everyone a sense of ownership over their own work, and lots of scope for creativity in how they achieve their business objectives. The level of autonomy and accountability expected for this role makes this ideal for an “entrepreneurial”, commercially-minded People Partner who brings a strong mix of strategic thinking and execution skills. You will obsess about continuously raising the bar through hiring, developing, motivating and engaging outstanding, talented people to drive the business forward. You will constantly be thinking about team dynamics and how to reinforce a great team culture.
This is a fascinating point at which to join an already successful business in a fast-growing, evolving market, leveraging a proven model, great brand, outstanding people, considerable financial firepower and a strongly supportive management team, to help the company realise its potential.
- Translate business strategy into concrete People plans in partnership with Tech leadership to create a culture where outstanding talent thrives
- Create Build, Buy, Borrow, Resolve Plans to increase and develop capability:
- Build: deploy development solutions; including designing/implementing tailored solutions, coaching or additional technical training
- Buy: build recruitment plan with identified channels to source & pipeline talent, partner with managers to ensure they are skilled & capable for interviewing and to ensure diverse top talent are selected, onboard and engaged for the right job. Strong partnership with the recruitment team to execute.
- Borrow: identify short-term capability needs to be filled with appropriate resources.
- Resolve: upgrade capability where appropriate via strong performance management
- Take plans from ideas through to implementation and ensure that they actually achieve the impact they were designed to, e.g. by a continual process of reinforcement over many months.
- Devise and implement plans to meet the career development needs of employees and business performance objectives
- Partner and coach managers on how to create the very best environment for employees, including performance management, feedback, development, total compensation and managing ER issues accordingly
- Use data, metrics and internal/external trends to provide leaders with insights to inform business decisions, organisational structure and targeted initiatives
- Lead and support wider people team to build central solutions
- Drive a proactive approach to company people agenda
- Ensure diversity of talent bench and leadership team
What you'll need
- Experience in People partnership with Tech, engineering or Tech First organisation
- Natural high intellect and quickness of thought to understand and dissect complex and evolving opportunities
- Track record of successfully partnering with Tech teams in a fast moving, consumer-facing, technology-led environment
- Experience mentoring and developing talent to rapidly achieve growth goals
- Ability to solve problems and design solutions from scratch
- Makes prompt, clear decisions which may involve tough choices or considered risks
- Takes initiative acts with confidence and works under own direction
- Comfortable with high-pressure situations and fast deadlines
- Builds wide and effective networks of contacts inside and outside the organisation
- Gains clear agreement and commitment from others by persuading, convincing and negotiating
- Produces workable solutions to a range of problems via robust root cause analysis
- Monitors and maintains quality and productivity
- Personal resilience to tackle challenges and opportunities relentlessly
- Team orientated at all times, with excellent interpersonal skills, down to earth and fun to work with each day
- 8+ years work experience
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 6 years and we operate in 14 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.