Job Title: Data Scientist, Economist
Location: Cannon Street, London
Closing Date: 16th of May 2019
When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome, right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges, and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three-sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
As an Economist at Deliveroo you will help scale our business and improve the experience for restaurants, riders, and eaters. Using experimental or observational data, you will get to help answer questions like:
- Which markets/cities should we enter next?
- How can we incentivise good rider behaviour?
- What is the business impact of exclusive deals we have with restaurants?
- How do we best optimise our compensation policy to keep our customers happy and ordering with Deliveroo?
- How does a new competitor’s entry into one of our markets affect our growth ambitions?
- Can the Delivery food market sustain multiple players?
- What are the trade-offs we face when choosing between growth and profitability? How should we decide between them?
- What is the optimum selection and variety of restaurants?
- What impact do online reviews have?
- How will a change in the user interface affect customer choice behavior?
The work you will do will have direct, measurable impact on the bottom line.
- Always curious and willing to learn new skills
- A problem solver with a deep analytical mindset
- Ability to think creatively and insightfully about business-relevant economic problems
- A critical thinker with very strong attention to detail
- Masters degree or PhD (preferred) in Economics or Econometrics
- Ideally industry experience since the completion of your academic career
- Proficiency with analytical tools like R/Python and familiarity with SQL
- Ability to understand and design markets and incentives taking into account the information environment and strategic interactions
- Excellent people skills — you’ll be meeting with stakeholders to translate business needs into economic problems
- Fantastic exposure to scaling a tech team at a unique pace
- Work at our new headquarters right by Cannon Street Station. The office has a prayer room, nap room, onsite gym, and a rooftop garden overlooking Tower Bridge. We hold firmwide meetings on our basketball court
- Flexible working, including parent friendly working hours, flexible hours, working from home days - all made easy by our great use of tech including video conferencing, slack, workplace
- Maternity/paternity leave and shared parental leave
- An internationally diverse, sociable, dynamic team to work alongside
- Conferences (attending and/or speaking) and learning resources
- Company benefits including: discounted private healthcare and a pension plan with employer contributions, childcare voucher scheme, cycle to work scheme, charitable giving, subsidised gym membership, cycle parking)
- Company wide tech talks with internal and external speakers, and a calendar of tech meetups hosted on the premises
- Regular team off-sites
- Access to Deliveroo Plus (no delivery fee on all orders)
- Every Friday we order lunch for everyone from restaurants on the Deliveroo platform
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start ups around.