When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 14 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
As a Site Associate, you will be working with the Site Manager and taking responsibility for the whole site, from maintaining the kitchens, to ensuring the smooth running of all the delivery operations working alongside our Restaurant Partners to improve their day to day business. As well as behind the scenes functions, we will also need you to be comfortable in a guest-facing context as we operate several dine-in areas within our Editions sites and being comfortable in a Front Of House environment, with a smile on your face and a willingness to help, is absolutely crucial.
Working with a wider team you will be tasked with improving kitchen efficiencies overall, from prep time and service time to Food Safety & Hygiene standards, you will have a huge influence on maximizing the profitability of the restaurant brands through using your expert knowledge to suggest labor control and stock control, amongst other innovative suggestions.
You will be working alongside the Site Manager, as well as Site Associates whilst working closely with up to 10 Head Chefs and their kitchen staff.
You will be tasked with:
- Ensuring the site is fully functional at all times, from maintenance issues, meeting health and safety standards, as well as food hygiene standards across every kitchen and managing stock deliveries.
- Support the head chefs to ensure maximal operational efficiency, through labor costs, stock control and service/prep time.
- Liaise with our restaurant account management and rider operations teams to improve overall performance of the site, for both customer and restaurant brands.
- Lead on training, development and progression in all areas on site for the benefit of the restaurant brands.
- Managing the logistics of the whole site, from prep, receiving orders, stock deliveries, ordering and staffing costs, P&L.
- Managing conflict, operational and logistical challenges and dealing with multiple situations regarding service standards at any one time when on shift.
- A cool head when things don;t go according to plan is essential.
- You are friendly, great at problem solving and organised, as you will be working alongside a team of chefs, delivery riders, and influencing others.
- You are full of energy as the role has demanding hours, and can handle lots of data while multi-tasking.
It is essential that you have a minimum of 2 years experience in a fast paced hospitality environment, whether this be contract catering, operations, events or restaurants. As Deliveroo is a weekend and late night company in the hospitality industry, it is essential for you to work shift work, including week nights and weekends. Typically 2 out of 3 weekend nights you will be required on shift and Sunday evenings are our busiest time of the week. We are a cool, trendy foodie/Tech business, operating on an international level. Ideally you will be trained to run operations on-site in a new project. Even better if you have been involved with a start-up.
It is essential that you will be able to demonstrate the following:
- Be a logical thinker and be able to think outside of the box
- Solutions focused and a great problem solver who can think on their feet
- Can do, never give up attitude
- Manage upwards to the restaurant brands and influence their ways of working
- You have the ability to influence and drive a team around you
- Be able to prioritize your work in a logical manner whilst ensuring all tasks are completed in a timely manner.
- Understanding of basic budgets
- A strong communicator, and team player
- A very keen eye for detail, where nothing gets missed
- A proactive, independent worker who can think on their own two feet
- A passion for food, fast paced environments and delivering exceptional results
- A passion to build a successful business around you, whilst helping huge brands and independents develop their offering brands to ensure maximum returns on investment
- The desire to grow and succeed with one of the worlds fastest growing food-tech companies
- Physically demanding, you must ensure all delivery parcels are ready for pick-up by riders; coordinate with multiple kitchens; audit partner restaurant kitchens on hygiene
- Identify causes of operational issues as well as symptoms, diagnose and cure
- Monitoring operational performance of our restaurants
- Potential to train new members
- Experience with operations and dealing with people
- Very analytical with great executional skills. Process driven, good with data
- Ideally degree educated but focused on execution and “getting things done”
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.