When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 14 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
The Senior Financial Operations Manager reports to the Director of Financial Operations.
Specifically, this role is responsible for:
- Lead and develop Transactions team (Accounts Payable, Accounts Receivable, Expenses and Reconciliations) to execute on day-to-day operations, continually adapting team to support growth plans and changes in regulatory environments
- Lead and develop Project resources to deliver project roadmap for Financial Operations which includes tactical and strategic initiatives
- Develop and deploy global policies and procedures to help ensure compliance with internal and external reporting requirements
- Continually review accuracy and efficiency of processes to ensure scalability, sustainability and promote best practice Develop and deliver reporting to monitor the efficiency and effectiveness of operations and deliver initiatives to improve performance
- Engage stakeholders to manage operational issues and influence them to sponsor and support policies and performance improvement initiatives
- Subject Matter Expert role in transformation programmes impacting process, technology and people aspects of Financial Operations owned processes
- Mentor, coach and train team members, including developing professional development pathways
- Minimum 8 years progressive experience
- ACA/CIMA/ACCA qualified
- Extensive knowledge of operational processes, systems and internal controls
- Experience leading projects and teams to deliver process streamlining, standardisation and automation to achieve efficiencies
- Proven track record of achieving successful business adoption when delivering change
- High literacy in finance systems and other enabling applications. NetSuite experience advantageous
- Ability to manage multiple tasks, deadlines and varying workloads in an unstructured environment whilst using a structured approach with strong attention to detail
- A flexible, hands on, individual who enjoys working in a changing environment with strong problem-solving skills
- Strong communication skills – both verbal and written. Ability to present complex topics in a clear and concise manner to audiences at various levels of the business and engage senior management competently
- Project implementation experience beneficial
- Experience working with business process outsourcing or shared services desired
The finance team is a dynamic team working on a range of projects at any one time. The team reflects the entrepreneurial spirit of the business and works to partner with all areas and geographical regions to ensure we build a best practice finance team amid extensive business growth. We need someone who can be flexible, a self-starter, and able to get on with people at all levels and across a range of departments in the business.
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.