Global Operations Senior Strategy Manager
In this role you’ll be finding solutions to some of the toughest and most exciting operational questions we must answer for Deliveroo. You’ll drive end to end strategic projects, design our operating model and drive major cross-functional projects (or leading the Operations workstream on them). You will also be involved in strategic product and service offering of the company as part of the global rider operations team.
You will be leading a dynamic team of Associates that reports to the Director of Operations Strategy. Key responsibilities include:
- Identify and prioritise opportunities to step-change our processes to deliver internal efficiency benefits and improved rider operations
- Identify and address gaps in the marketplace organisation (specifically rider org.) to implement a data driven approach to operations management
- You will be a senior member to drive the operations strategy and create an ambitious plan to execute
- You will launch new initiatives and monitor effectiveness of the new embedded approaches and/or product solutions
- You will problem solve on operational challenges ensuring we are achieving our short, medium and long term goals
You’ll also work very closely with the following stakeholders:
- Global Operations and Commercial teams – to shape the customer proposition, and subsequently the requisite operating model, through a robust and analytical approach
- Global and local Operations teams – to drive and materialise continual enhancement in the rider proposition
- Tech teams – to inform and influence priorities and/or products that has the most impact on customer and rider experiences
- Central functions such as Policy and Legal – to ensure we can achieve our objectives profitably and within the constraints of evolving legal environments
Qualities we’re looking for
- IMPACT DRIVEN: You’ll take the lead on high-impact global operations projects that best serve our customers and Deliveroo riders. These range from designing and rolling out new operational capabilities e.g. accepting cash as a payment method to enhance our consumer offering, or driving innovative solutions with Product teams to reduce order lateness. You also need to make recommendations of changes, which could (or perhaps, should) be game-changing and communicate them across the business persuasively. More importantly, you must have a strong desire to galvanise action within Deliveroo.
- TEAM AND PROJECT MANAGEMENT: You will be accountable to manage concurrent projects as well as team members effectively. The ability to frame vague or complex business questions into bite-sized workstreams and prioritise them for team-members to work on is paramount to the success of this role. Comfort with making quick yet calculated decisions, even in times of ambiguity, is also hugely important to thrive in this fast-paced environment. In addition, you should also be able to conduct quantitative and qualitative analysis to support team-members and sense-check outputs. You are also expected to be able to manage stakeholders across the entire business, e.g. from the Ops planning associate in Belgium all the way up to the Executive team.
- AWARE AND COLLABORATIVE: While your role has a huge strategic emphasis, your recommendations should always be practicable. This means that you need to be able to step back and see the bigger picture to understand interdependencies and implications on other parts of the business. You should also be proactively consulting relevant stakeholders regularly for their input and test the pragmatism of your proposed solutions. You’ll need to be able to then rally them around these recommendations and work across functions to implement and track them effectively.
We are looking for someone who:
- Has >7 years’ relevant experience in operations and strategy roles
- Has a deep desire to solve real world problems, constantly looking for ways to improve and creatively solve problems - both the big strategic things, as well as the smaller quick wins
- Autonomy with a strong analytical approach - strong ability to join quantitative and qualitative approaches to frame and synthesise complex business problems into clear, concise and easy-to-understand solutions
- Can prioritise effectively as well as manage multiple projects and team-members concurrently
- Is adept at conducting 80/20 analysis, drawing out business insights from that analysis and presenting findings and recommendations persuasively
- Can make things happen - Solid track record of getting things done and influencing cross-functional teams
- Strong written and oral communication skills, with an eye for detail and a passion for presenting data and information in clear, compelling ways to communicate concepts and desired outcomes.
- Takes pride in coaching and developing junior team-members and others in the business
- Strong knowledge of the restaurant industry or in any customer-obsessed business is a plus
- Experience as a Case Team Leader (or equivalent) in a top-tier consultancy or strategy function in a top-tier corporate
- Strong communication and stakeholder management skills with the ability to influence others
- Degree from a top university
- Solid quantitative skills (Excel and/or other data modelling platforms)
- Effective PowerPoint/Google Slides skills in terms of speed and quality of output
- Knowledge of core SQL
- Masters degree or MBA from a top University
Why Deliveroo? When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We’re a technology-driven company at the forefront of the most rapidly expanding industry in the world, so come and join us for the ride.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.