Deliveroo launched in 2013. Fast forward to 2022, and we operate in 12 markets with over 60,000 riders who deliver orders from 60,000 restaurants in over 500 cities worldwide. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us.
We’re already a multi-billion pound company that has grown rapidly. Yet, most of the extraordinary value Deliveroo will generate lies ahead of us. To help us pave the path for 2022 and beyond, we’ve created a new team to lead on people operations and strategy for the business.
About the role
We are looking for a Senior Privacy Counsel for the Deliveroo legal team who will report to the Head of Privacy.
The successful candidate will work closely with other members of the privacy sub-team to manage privacy legal workstreams across the business and support the implementation of all aspects of Deliveroo’s global privacy strategy.
What you'll be doing
We will need the successful candidate to work closely with other members of the privacy sub-team and to:
- Lead, manage and assist on privacy law matters, including:
- providing privacy advice on corporate strategic and business growth projects,
- working closely with and becoming a trusted strategic advisor of the business teams to advise and support on new products, services and initiatives, such as those involving novel technologies, marketing campaigns, app developer requirements, etc.
- supporting the Commercial team globally in negotiating and drafting privacy-related contracts and keeping precedents updated,
- drafting and supporting the implementation of Deliveroo’s privacy compliance arrangements, such as privacy policies and procedures,
- working closely with the Employment team globally on any matters relating to riders and Deliveroo staff, and
- advising on regulatory interactions.
- Be an active team member contributing to the formulation and continuous development of Deliveroo’s global privacy strategy.
- Build a close relationship with:
- the Data Protection Officer team, working side by side with them to provide support and advice on any escalated privacy matters, such as those involving data subject rights requests, legal claims and data incidents, as well as
- the Data Management team on the technical implementation of data protection principles within the business.
- Directly advise key stakeholders in the business, including the Deliveroo Executive team.
- Understand, interpret and apply current laws applicable to Deliveroo’s ever expanding business, come up with creative solutions, as well as identifying what’s coming around the corner and mitigating legal risks.
- Effectively and efficiently manage outside legal counsel globally, including managing invoicing and legal spend budgets.
- Monitor the industry landscape to keep visibility on evolutions, trends, and best practices and horizon-scanning new privacy-related laws and regulations to inform Deliveroo’s global privacy strategy plan, advise the business and liaise with the Public Affairs & Policy teams.
- Liaise with other key business areas to provide privacy advice and support, such as the Information Security, Risk, Control & Compliance, Regulatory Compliance and Internal Audit teams.
What we're looking for
You’ll need to have:
- At least 6+ years PQE in the privacy/technology department at a leading law firm or in-house function (secondment or other in-house experience a plus).
- Excellent team management experience and experience of advising executive teams and key stakeholders (and the board of directors within a business a plus).
- Strong experience in managing and running data protection compliance projects. Advising on privacy matters in a public company setting would be beneficial.
- Excellent academics and training.
- Exceptional business judgement and creativity, be comfortable dealing in ambiguity and have strong communication and interpersonal skills. The ability to remain calm and multi-task under pressure. React, think on your feet and make quick decisions in a rapidly growing, fast-changing environment.
- Ability to thrive in high impact / high profile scenarios is essential - all whilst showing a good sense of humour.
- Curiosity and hunger for learning and happy to “roll sleeves up” and turn your hand to anything.
- Excellent soft skills - the ability to develop strong relationships with other members of the legal team and our business partners is essential.
- Other European language skills are a plus.
- Strong organisation and execution skills.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world, and we do this in real-time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allows us to deliver our orders in around 30 minutes.
The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it's clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
And we're just getting started.
Benefits & Diversity
At Deliveroo, we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest-growing startups in an incredibly exciting space.