When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
...AND WE'RE JUST GETTING STARTED
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
The Head of Operations is part of the Belgian Leadership Team and reports directly to the GM. He or she will lead a team of 10+ people, including two managers, and will have full ownership over one of Deliveroo’s key functions.
We are looking for someone that not only demonstrates excellent analytical skills and creative thinking, but also a deep curiosity to learn and a hunger to push the boundaries of success. This role demands an analytical, people-centric and entrepreneurial leader.
- Coaching and leading the Operations team, consisting of a Rider Community team and a Performance and Rider Acquisition team.
- Working closely with the Belgian Leadership team to build and execute the Belgian strategy.
- Overseeing the front-line operation for Belgium. Understanding, analysing and driving our complex day-to-day logistics to ensure exceptional service levels and growth. Along the way you’ll ensure we have enough riders in the fleet, that supply matches demand, and that riders have all the support they need.
- Using analytics to build a platform that can sustainably scale. Understanding what needs to be improved to increase efficiency and effectiveness of the fleet, and what we need to build now for the future.
- Collaborating with product, legal, commercial and other HQ central departments. Working with all the supporting departments to ensure the Belgian market has their needs catered for, and are coordinated with upcoming changes to product, processes and strategy.
- Identifying opportunities for improvement. For example improving design of delivery zones, optimizing the flow of rider communication (for support and in the rider communities), reviewing efficiency in fleet acquisition, improving rider safety and much more.
- Leading the local strategy. Understanding the cultural, legal and competitive landscape to ensure we’re constantly evolving, innovating and prioritising the right projects to meet business needs.
- We are looking for someone with at least 4-8 years of operations management, or consulting experience, with experience of managing a large and diverse team.
- This role demands an analytical, people-centric and entrepreneurial leader.
- Strong analytical skills to make data driven decisions for operational and economical improvements.
- Fluent in French, Dutch and English.
- Master graduate level candidate with a highly analytical degree or background.
- High level people management skills, must have experience working with people of different backgrounds and skills.
- Enough stats and excel skills, i.e. to separate the signal from the noise, since so much of what we do is tested against the real world straight away.
- Ability to work and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
- Confident communication skills for reporting to stakeholders at different levels, ability to influence people across the organisation.
- Driven and confident personality, who can keep a cool head in a crisis.
LIFE AT DELIVEROO
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
BENEFITS & DIVERSITY
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around