Vonage Corporate Strategy and Development Mission
Our Corporate Strategy and Development team has helped lead Vonage’s transformation into a global leader in cloud communications, expanding across unified communications, Platform as a Service (CPaaS) and new emerging technologies.
The team plays a critical role in: developing, vetting and constructing Vonage’s short and long-term strategy; driving the strategy planning process; helping to develop the financial underpinnings for this strategy and to drive dynamic decision making to implement or course-correct against these strategies; identifying and evaluating new acquisition opportunities across the cloud communications landscape; executing M&A and undertaking related financial analyses, diligence, deal structuring and counterparty negotiations; and establishing a regular discussion cadence with external banking, growth-equity/VC ecosystem.
The team works with C-level business and functional leaders across the organization as well as investment banking advisors, management consultants and target business management teams to accomplish these objectives.
Why this role matters:
As a Senior Manager, Corporate Strategy and Development, you will be an individual contributor who undertakes the initiatives described in the role summary. This position is a centralized function regularly partnering with senior leaders in areas of corporate strategy/development, technology, product development, financial planning as well as more broadly with marketing and sales leadership to drive strategy development, iterative/dynamic course-correction and alignment, related financial analyses and opportunistics M&A.
You will be integrally involved in driving financial analytics that guide critical business decisions, providing actionable insights, accurate forecasts and external modeling. This role will allow the right candidate to both grow professionally and take on more responsibility in the organization over time.
What you will do:
- Establish a business management system (work cadence) to drive strategy planning and dynamic (in-year) checks and alignment
- Help develop 3 year strategy plan and supporting financial and business/commercial analyses
- Drive strategy planning by collaborating with different experts/leaders across the company to identify, vet and refine perspectives on strategic priorities and the corresponding organizational alignment to implement these priorities
- Collaborate with senior colleagues to ensure effective strategy cascading throughout different functions to ensure firmwide clarity and alignment in strategy implementation
- Consistently vet of strategy with market/competitive developments; doing so in part through establishing active dialogue with emerging technology companies, growth equity funds, consultants and bankers
- Construct financial underpinnings for 3 year strategy by working closely with corporate finance and FP&A teams
- Undertake ﬁnancial modeling for annual budgeting, forecasting and long-term planning; evaluate actual performance vs. budget/strategy plan
- Identify new technologies and vet alignment with strategic objectives
- Develop consistent dialogue with bankers, funds and emerging technology businesses
- Undertake bespoke / one-off financial analyses to evaluate opportunities
- Undertake comprehensive valuation and pro forma M&A financial analyses; develop analyses to evaluate optimum financing strategies
- Develop Vonage modified projections for acquired businesses and set up frameworks to track/monitor acquired asset performance vs projections
- Intensively engage with internal teams to diligence potential targets; help frame internal discussion through financial lens where appropriate
- Similarly work with internal teams and target management to develop views on acquisition synergies
- Work with Accounting/Tax teams to evaluate accounting/tax aspects of acquisitions
- Work with IR to develop public presentations / press communications discussing M&A
What you'll bring:
- Very strong quantitative and analytical skills; comfortable in a data-driven environment.
- Experience in complex financial modeling and analysis preferred.
- Ability to manage multiple responsibilities under tight time frames
- Strong presentation development and written communication skills
What's required for application:
- Bachelor’s degree in Engineering/Science/Math/Economics/Finance
- 3 to 6 years of experience, some of which includes investment banking, private equity, management consulting experience
- Technical proficiency with Microsoft Excel and PowerPoint as well as external data sources such as Bloomberg, Factset, Crunchbase
What's in it for you:
In addition to providing exciting work, career advancement opportunities, and a collaborative work environment, Vonage provides competitive pay, RSUs and benefits including unlimited discretionary time off and tuition reimbursement.
Note: The purpose of this profile is to provide a general summary of essential responsibilities for the position and is not meant as an exhaustive list. Assignments may differ for individuals within the same role based on business conditions, departmental need or geographic location.