Data Engineer - Business Growth: JD.com
JD.com is China’s largest online retailer and its biggest overall retailer, as well as the country’s biggest Internet company by revenue. JD.com sets the standard for online shopping through its commitment to quality, authenticity, and its vast product offering covering everything from fresh food and apparel to electronics and cosmetics. Its unrivaled nationwide fulfillment network provides standard same- and next-day delivery covering a population of more than 1 billion - a level of service and speed that is unmatched globally. In 2017, JD had 292.5M annual active consumers and net revenue of US$55.7B. JD.com is currently on pace to become China’s largest B2C e-commerce platform by 2021. JD.com is listed on the NASDAQ under the ticker “JD”. In 2014, the year of its listing, this was the largest IPO on the NASDAQ. JD.com was the first Chinese Internet company to be included on the Fortune Global 500 List.
JD plans to strengthen its leadership position as a technology-driven company over the next 10+ years, with a focus on big data, AI technology and smart logistics, and to become the dominant e-commerce platform in China. To achieve these goals, we aim to more deeply understand consumer behavior in China, better understand what drives purchases, how to forecast demand, and how to target promotions, advertising and other efforts across the whole range of technologies available to sophisticated Chinese consumers today. As global brands enter China and as China in turn becomes more globalized, we will provide innovative ways for these brands to deliver new products, help drive new monetization strategies and provide solutions for brand safety and product authenticity. In addition, we are constantly evolving our already state-of-the-art ad-serving platform to serve digital ads across all of China. For this platform, we are developing sophisticated analytics around attribution, return and exposure. To drive this exciting agenda forward, we are looking for people with strong social science, quantitative, statistical and machine learning skills who can partner with our team in Mountain View and in Beijing to leverage the vast data and computational assets of JD (which now involves collaboration and data sharing with Baidu, NetEase, Quihoo, Sogou, Toutiao and WeChat. This powerful consortium combines the largest search, gaming, mobile-security, news-aggregation and social network companies in China).
The ideal candidate for this position will be quantitatively trained (advanced master's or PhD) with expertise in data science. Individuals who are interested in using computing and data to more deeply understanding consumer behavior, marketplace behavior, competition and who have a passion for solving complex business problems through the combined use of data, technology and strategy will thrive in our environment. They will also be comfortable working cross-functionally and thrive in a fast-paced organization. Interest in e-commerce and in economics/quantitative marketing/business-analytics is a plus.
- Design, build and launch new data extraction, transformation and loading pipelines to develop data-based tools for analyzing consumer behaviors.
- Produce high quality code with reliability and scalability; efficiently collaborate across different teams to ensure smooth transition of POC stage code stacks to productization.
- Analyze large-scale structured and unstructured data; develop new machine learning, statistical models and visualization tools to help answer JD advertising and marketing related business questions.
- Master's or PhD degree in Computer Science, Statistics, Mathematics or related fields.
- Proficiency in SQL and a Unix/Linux environment for automating processes with shell scripting.
- Deep understanding of big data technologies (some subset of MapReduce, Hadoop, Pig, Spark, Hive, Kafka, etc.).
- Proficiency in at least one of the following programming languages: Java, C++, Scala, Python, R.
- Solid foundation in data structures and algorithms, with excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills.
- Excellent communication skills and a strong team player.
- Interest in consumer behavior, e-commerce and related business questions.
- Training and experience in ML and building statistical models a plus.
About JD-Business Growth
The Business Growth Business Unit manages JD’s ad-business. JD’s ad-tech comprises a set of large scale publishing, programmatic ad-exchange, ad-network and data management platforms for serving digital ads on JD-owned and affiliated properties across China. JD Business Group also works on JD’s marketing technology platform efforts aimed at helping brands leverage JD and its partners’ large-scale data and computing assets to improve their marketing in China.
JD Business Growth research group in Silicon Valley is focused on using science to suggest, support and shape new and existing data-driven advertising, e-commerce, and marketing products. We combine large-scale experimentation, statistical-econometric, machine learning and artificial intelligence tools, with social-science, economics and computer science to find innovative ways to drive growth and monetization. Some of the problems we work on include advertising attribution, recommendation systems, advertising targeting, using applied economics, causal inference, deep learning, and reinforcement learning methods.
JD.com is an Equal Opportunity Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.