Job Description – Research Scientist in Data Mining
Job Type: Full-time
Location: Cambridge, UK
We are looking for research scientists working on data mining and related areas, including natural language processing, information retrieval and recommender systems, to join JD AI. Candidates with both theoretical and applied interests are encouraged to apply.
JD offers endless data-rich application scenarios, including e-commence, supply-chain, logistics, big data, cloud computing, IoT, marketing, finance and robotics, to drive our research on data mining. We have open publication policy and researchers at JD AI have a strong record of publication in top platforms, such as ICML, NIPS, AAAI, IJCAI, KDD, ICDM, WSDM, SIGIR, CIKM, WWW, ACL, EMNLP, CVPR, and ICCV.
- Conduct data-driven research, challenge the state of the art in data mining and its relevant areas, and publish research work in top research platforms, such as KDD, SIGIR, WWW, and ACL;
- Innovate and develop new ideas for applied AI in JD products and services;
- Work with business, engineering and product teams to form an understanding of the emerging technical requirements and identify/establish/participate in novel research programs to address identified technical challenges.
- PhD in data mining, information retrieval or natural language processing;
- Track-record in developing novel techniques and approaches, e.g., publications in one or more of the following: KDD, ICDM, WSDM, SIGIR, CIKM, WWW, ACL, EMNLP, etc.
- Solid background in statistical approaches or other emerging methods for modelling data (structured, unstructured or linked);
- Strong programming skills in at least one object-oriented programming language (Python, C++, Java, Scala, etc.)
- Experience in DM/IR/NLP algorithm implementation, as well as the ability to improve/modify standard algorithms (e.g. change the optimization objective, work out an alternative mathematical model and implement it);
- Ability to develop prototypes by manipulating and analysing complex, high-volume, high-dimensionality data from varying sources;
- Eager to learn new algorithms, new application areas and new tools;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Deep academic or industrial expertise (post PhD 5+ years) in one or more related areas;
- An active contributor to the relevant international research communities;
- Hands-on experience with big data platforms such as Hadoop and Spark;
- Previous experience in managing a dedicated research team;
- Knowledge of, or experience in, building and deploying production-quality large-scale applications related to data mining, information retrieval or natural language processing.