Since 2005, Box has made it easier for people to securely share ideas, collaborate and get work done faster. Today, more than 41 million users and 85,000 businesses - including 69% of the Fortune 500 - trust Box to manage content in the cloud. The Technical Support Engineering (TSE) Team works with the entire portfolio of Box End Users, Admins, and Developers by investigating and resolving the toughest technical issues that enable our customers to be successful. Technical Support Engineer's are empowered to be a liaison between the User Services (aka Product Support) and Engineering teams, providing escalated support in a "Tier 2" capacity. They actively screen and manage JIRA queues, take on additional tasks to assist the Engineering team, support 'skunk work' projects to amplify and enhance internal efficiencies, and assist the broader, global support team through direct customer case support/assistance and mentorship.
Why the team needs you
We're a customer-facing team who has developed a reputation for seeing through the forest of trees to isolate the root cause of an issue impacting a customer's experience in Box. We can speak the lingo of Engineers to effectively drive bug identification with the skilled ability to creatively translate technical jargon to non-technical stakeholders.
In addition, our global support organization operates in a "Swarm"-based model. This process aligns multiple tiers of agents to specialize in a single Product-area, providing our customers with the right resources, quickly. TSE's provide technical leadership, know-how, and mentorship within their designated Swarm. Ultimately, you are recognized as both a key escalation resource within the Swarm and a liaison with Product/Engineering. You will also contribute to the Swarm’s structure as a 'Facilitator' under the three distinct responsibility categories - QB/Coordinator, Process, and Knowledge.
As our customer base grows and rapid changes are made to our existing and future product offerings, we need TSE's to support our continued effort to deliver customer delight.
Why you need Box
Box is growing fast - really fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize how they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the foremost company that transforms how people and enterprises collaborate - but that doesn't happen automagically. Changing the way people work takes time, effort, and planning. Our success depends on our customers' success and both technical and non-technical complications can unintentionally derail this path. That's where you come in.
Who you are
- You're a team player that collaborates well with other support tiers and colleagues of varying experience.
- You're a proven mentor for other team members on areas that include obtaining and analyzing additional information from customers to support first-level resolution.
- You are ready and willing to jump on issues and take ownership with widespread customer impact, confidently providing representation, as appropriate, with multiple internal stakeholders.
- You can create valuable relationships with the customers via clear, concise and professional communications.
- You can distinguish between technical/non-technical users and are able to diversify your approach depending on the audience.
- You can employ both empathy and ownership in customer interactions.
- You are able to improvise, think creatively, and find solutions/workarounds to tricky problems, especially in cases when the product may not align with customer expectations.
- You possess a strong desire to learn and grow with the ability to apply those learnings on customer cases.
- Your north star is a focus on always aiming to solve the problem at hand and preventing the next.
- You have the aptitude to specialize on their assigned Product area and is an SME for at least one Product.
- You have a desire to partner and create relationships with 1-2 Product Team(s) to gain expert-level knowledge.
- You have the capacity and knowledge to act as an escalation point and investigate complex/corner issues including advanced network/firewall/proxy configurations, debugging complex desktop environments and system registries, SSO configurations, and Platform/API related errors.
- You are ready and willing to participate in skunk-works projects. E.g. Innovating around new support channels or building internal tools to increase efficiency and internal knowledge for a global team.
- You exemplify best-in-class approaches to identify, develop and deliver training/mentorship to benefit all areas of Product Support and Customer Success.
Here's the Fine Print
- 4-year degree in CS or Engineering or an equivalent history of related experience required
- 3-4 years related experience preferred, inc. 2+ years of experience in working with customers in a technical role with a focus in advanced network, desktop troubleshooting, or SaaS technologies.
- Significant level of comfort interacting with a high volume of customers over a variety of channels (phone, email, web-based screen-sharing)
- Experience with JIRA, Zendesk or other bug tracking tools.
- Intermediate experience coding in an object-oriented language (Java, C++, .NET, Ruby, Python, etc.)
- Intermediate SQL knowledge.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills.