Box is looking for an exceptional candidate with a deep knowledge of IT server infrastructure (Windows Server, Linux, & AWS) to join our growing IT Systems Engineering team. As a Sr. IT Systems Engineer you will work cross-functionally with IT, Security, and Engineering to deploy, secure, and manage our servers and infrastructure globally. To succeed in this fast-paced challenging position you will need to be a highly motivated problem solver, be excited about security, love building for scale, and be deeply passionate about all aspects of supporting the IT needs of a growing tech company.
- Architect, build, optimize, and operate core IT systems across a variety of different software stacks and platforms: Infrastructure & Endpoint Computing: (VMware, AWS, Linux, Windows, macOS); Networking (Cisco, Juniper, Palo Alto Networks); Services (Splunk, Puppet, Datadog, WDS); and Applications (Box, G Suite, Confluence, JIRA, Tableau).
- Help us protect our house by designing and leading initiatives to mitigate risk on servers and infrastructure.
- Help scale and design monitoring and alerting tools, in concert with the security team.
- Build automation and tooling to assist with compliance and auto-remediate issues without end user involvement.
- Lead administration and support for monitoring, configuration, and logging services (Splunk, Puppet, Datadog)
- Create/maintain day-to-day support & management documentation for systems and services troubleshooting.
- Utilize Windows Deployment Services (WDS) and tools like Cobbler to develop new images with support for major operating systems and software releases.
- Partner with the security team to implement security policies and ensure all critical vulnerabilities are patched in a timely manner.
- Ensure that all infrastructure stays compliant with Box policies.
- Maintain inventory and reporting of all infrastructure and computing assets.
- Provide Tier III support and troubleshooting for complex end user computing issues escalated from the Helpdesk. Be the go-to technical resource and mentor for entry level system administrators and Helpdesk team.
- Develop and maintain documentation for systems and architectural standards.
- BA/BS degree in Information Systems, Computer Science or equivalent degree/experience in a related field.
- 2-3+ years experience with Puppet or similar in a large scale Linux or Windows environment.
- Experience in one or more programming languages relevant to scripting, automation, and general tooling: Python, Bash, PowerShell, PHP, Go.
- Strong ability to interact with and understand complex technical requirements across different departments.
- Strong ability to communicate effectively in writing and verbally, including working with a geographically distributed team.
- Strong organizational, planning, problem-solving, and documentation skills.
- Proven experience and track record troubleshooting complex Linux, Windows, and Mac problems in an enterprise environment.
- Strong networking background (Cisco, Juniper, Palo Alto Networks) and ability to use tools such as Wireshark for troubleshooting issues.
- Working knowledge of essential security concepts.
- Ability to stay current with latest hardware and software releases.
- Experience scripting and or automating tasks with REST APIs.
- One or more of the following certifications preferred: Red Hat Certified Systems Administrator (RHCSA), Microsoft Certified Systems Administrator (MCSA), Splunk Enterprise Certified Admin, Puppet Professional, Cisco Certified Network Associate (CCNA), Juniper Certified Internet Specialist (JNCIS-ENT), EC Council Certified Ethical Hacker, AWS Certified Solution Architect - Associate, AWS Certified SysOps Administrator - Associate