The Government Affairs Associate provides legislative and advocacy administrative support to Green Thumb’s growing government affairs team. The cannabis landscape continues to change and evolve, and this role is a key function of understanding emerging and changing legislation working directly with Green Thumb leaders. In this role, you will be responsible for performing administrative, legislative and advocacy related activities across a range of issues of interest to Green Thumb, including legislative research, drafting legislative summaries, developing and implementing advocacy strategies, tracking and reporting on strategic objectives, and assisting with the development and use of advocacy materials. If the idea of reading through hundreds of pages of legislation and creating briefs excites you, you have a passion for cannabis, and you love the legislative process this is a role for you.
- Monitor, research and analyze proposed legislative and regulatory developments and how they impact Green Thumb
- Prepare and present verbal and written status updates on legislative, regulatory and policy developments and position papers to internal stakeholders
- Assist with the development of legislative materials
- Cover legislative hearings
- Attend and report back on briefings and meetings, as well as other industry activities
- Develop and analyze written communications
- Summarize proposed changes to regulations
- Work with internal stakeholders to understand regulatory changes that impact operations
- Draft correspondence to elected officials and government agencies
- Draft and support the execution periodic government affairs reports
- Provide support of external advocacy-related events, such as lobby days
- Manage lobbying disclosure compliance requirements
- Assist with event scheduling and coordination, as needed
- Work on additional special projects as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree required; Political Science, English or Communications degree preferred, Law degree preferred
- 3+ years experience working in public policy or government affairs role with familiarity of the legislative and regulatory process
- Excellent planning, organizational and project management skills
- Exceptional written, editing, and verbal communication skills
- Proficient with Microsoft Word and PowerPoint
- Strong analytical and business problem solving skills
- Flexibility and ability to respond quickly to shifting demands & priorities
- Highly motivated, self-directed, innovative and able to work independently or among teams with keen judgement, common sense and resourcefulness
- Adapts and thrives in a demanding, fast-paced environment
- Possesses a high level of critical thinking
- Operates with a high level of professionalism and integrity, including dealing with confidential information
- Must understand and comply with the rules, regulations, policies, and procedures of Green Thumb
- Must have a solid understanding of the Cannabis laws, rules and regulations and passion to further their understanding and knowledge of the industry and the laws.
- Must pass any and all required background checks
- Must be and remain compliant with all legal or company regulations for working in the industry
- Must possess valid driver’s license
- Must be a minimum of 21 years of age
As an employer of more than 100 employees, Green Thumb will be operating in accordance with the Biden Administration’s Path Out of the Pandemic should the mandate take effect.