As an Associate Director of User Experience, you combine your stellar user experience architecture and analytical skills with creative thinking. You generate ideas based on briefs—sketching them and bringing them to life digitally—and you passionately advocate for the end user.
Working alongside Producers, you understand how to estimate the level of effort a project requires, and you’re able to manage a team that’s creating site architecture deliverables such as wireframes, user flows, and site maps for multiple projects. Gaining leadership experience is definitely something you’re looking for, but you’ll still get strategic guidance along the way from a Director of User Experience. Your day-to-day involves developing usability test plans, creating performance management reports, and communicating with a Producer to ensure all milestones are met on time.
- Design holistic systems, flows, and interfaces that are focused on user experience and meet or exceed strategic objectives.
- Guide and direct UX team members with thorough delegation, follow-up, and mentoring.
- Balance creative requirements with client business requirements.
- Provide quality assurance on all UX deliverables.
- Build and maintain a team rapport with creative teammates, account managers, strategists, content strategists, marketing scientists, and producers.
- Visualize and verbalize complex ideas to rationalize solutions to the team and client.
- Anticipate upcoming client and team needs, identify risks, and mitigate appropriately.
- Lead the design of a project or group of projects with limited input from the Director of UX.
- Work with the Director of UX to manage and evolve a clear vision for the UX discipline.
- Play a key role in leading recruiting and resourcing efforts to cultivate an effective team.
- Contribute to team culture by acting as a coach and mentor to junior team members, modelling the behaviours and characteristics of a CM leader.
- Actively engaged with colleagues both in and outside of teams to promote collaboration and inclusion.
- Lead aspects of pitch creation based on UX experience by providing insightful contributions and using a strong understanding of the business development process.
- Engage in the industry and act as an ambassador of the Critical Mass brand when attending conferences and meetings.
- A bachelor's degree (preferred) with multidisciplinary background such as psychology, computer science, information sciences, human/computer interface design, or commerce/business.
- 5+ years related industry experience in UX, product design, new media, information technology, communications, or library/information science.
- 3+ years’ experience in the role of senior UX designer, user experience lead, or equivalent role.
- A strong portfolio of work demonstrating creative thinking, problem solving, process, and quality spanning various digital platforms.
- Strong storytelling abilities with excellent verbal, written, and visual communication skills.
- Proven interpersonal skills, client relation skills, and ability to work in a team environment.
- Proven experience effectively leading teams.
- Experienced, innovative, and forward-thinking attitude with demonstrated leadership of medium-scale projects from concept to completion.
- Thorough, detail-oriented, and highly organized working style with the ability to multi-task and meet tight deadlines.
- Flexibility and adaptability to fast-paced and changing environments.
- A deep appreciation and understanding of user experience, including research, information architecture, usability testing, and applying it to create compelling digital experiences.
- High proficiency using tools such as Sketch, Omnigraffle, InVision, Principle, and Axure as well as Keynote, Powerpoint, and Adobe Creative Suite.
- Demonstrated expertise and experience with process and business analysis, software development and project processes for large scale projects, documentation for development teams, application of content management, personalization, targeting and search systems, and modular design systems.
- Familiarity and experience working with WCAG 2.0 A/AA standards.