Box's data infrastructure is going through a rapid transformation as we continue to scale our business. HBase, Redis, Memcached, MySQL and other database technologies are all at the heart of enabling Box's ability to store and retrieve critical customer data with low latency. The Database Operations team is responsible for continually pushing the boundaries of our data infrastructure capabilities through developing tools to improve infrastructure leverage, collaborating with engineers across various teams to on-board and support new products, and continuing to drive improvements to the reliability and availability of Box's database platforms.
In this role, you will be discovering opportunities to drive efficiencies in our hardware and software platforms as well as improving or automating manual processes. As the infrastructure continues to grow, you'll be developing robust software to automate routine tasks, automate infrastructure management, and validate changes to database configuration to improve overall throughput of our data platforms.
Why the team needs you
The Database Operations team is comprised of talented and motivated engineers who continually push the boundaries for our team and organization, as a whole. We will be looking for your unrivaled experience and insights in running HBase and caching infrastructure in a Linux environment. Your background in Linux systems administration or software development along with your continued passion to grow and challenge others in the team will be paramount to finding the best possible solutions to the challenges we set out to tackle, as a team.
Why Box needs you
Box is growing fast. Real fast. Every business in the world is looking to modernize the way that they work. As the leader in cloud content management, Box is the only company that can help enterprises transform how people work together. Come help us define a robust way to build, operate, and scale Box's data platforms that power this industry-leading mission!
Why you need Box
You're going to have the unique opportunity to help scale out a rapidly growing data platform using HBase and other non-relational data stores as backends to customer-facing client applications. Like others in this position, you'll be challenged to push existing configurations beyond their current limits through performance testing and tuning. You'll also get to take on opportunities to build software with a test-driven development mindset that aims to simplify routine work or resolve larger technical problems. Through cooperation with engineers across other teams in the engineering organization, you'll also enable the development of new products that have a lasting and direct impact on the entire business.
Who you are
- You have production operations experience and enjoy talking about stability, scalability, and how to improve the performance of HBase and caching infrastructures at scale.
- You like to figure out what is going on inside of distributed data stores like HBase, Redis, or Memcached by digging into source code and understanding bottlenecks that impact the reliability and performance
- You are a problem solver and enjoy solving complex problems through deep dives into the Linux kernel or the JVM
- You've worked in multi-functional engineering teams and have an eye for enabling others' success in building new features and software to grow our business
- You have a passion for automating routine work and processes with software written in Python, PHP, Bash, Java, Go, and more