When you first think about Deliveroo, you probably think of getting great food to your house in less than half an hour. Awesome right? But behind the scenes is the real story. This story is one of high growth, huge challenges and an enormous opportunity ahead of us. It began with our founder Will, arriving in London over 5 years ago and finding it almost impossible to order great food, despite the wealth of incredible restaurants in the city. Fast forward 5 years and we operate in 13 countries with over 50,000 riders who deliver orders from 50,000 restaurants in over 200 cities worldwide.
We want to be the definitive food company - the app you go to any time you have a hunger pang. We are transforming the way people think about food. We are providing people with limitless access to different cuisines and restaurants, turning cooking from a chore to a choice, and giving people the freedom to eat what they want, when they want, where they want it.
We work with riders, restaurants and consumers. We operate one of the most complex three sided marketplaces in the world and we do this in real time. Millions of customers and thousands of restaurants and riders rely on us to match them within milliseconds. The algorithms behind that marketplace are the secret sauce that allow us to deliver our orders in under 30 minutes.
And we’re just getting started
The scale of the opportunity ahead of us is immense. The global food market is valued at £7.7 trillion but only 1% of it is currently online. Contrast that with the digital disruption of countless other industries - from banking and travel to retail and communications - it’s clear that our journey in the food sector has only just begun.
We are already a multi-billion dollar company that is more than doubling in size every year. Deliveroo came top in the FT’s’ list of Europe’s fastest growing 1000 companies in 2018, and we were the first company ever to win Deloitte’s ‘UK Top 50’ two years in a row. Yet most of the extraordinary value this company will generate lies ahead of us.
What you can expect as an intern
The Content, Research and Design team defines how our customers, riders, restaurants and employees interact with Deliveroo’s products. Based in London, our team has a global impact, with our work reaching customers in Singapore, riders in Amsterdam and restaurant kitchens in Paris and more.
As a Product Design Intern you’ll get:
- Mentorship - You will be paired up with a senior member of the team who will be responsible for your time at Deliveroo. They will be your point of contact and your mentor during your time here.
- Real product experience - You will be participating in real projects, working embedded with product teams and will be responsible for delivering and presenting your project at the end of your internship.
- Competitive pay - You will be compensated with competitive pay for your time here at Deliveroo.
What you might work on
The products we work on are as varied as the users we serve, and we’re fortunate to be in a company where design is a first class citizen. Design spans every aspect of our product and our operations, and during your time at Deliveroo you’ll be exposed to a number of very different areas, such as:
- Our Rider apps
- Products for our Restaurants
- Our suite of Consumer products
- Internal Tools to help us provide better customer service
- Design systems and tools
What we’re looking for
We value intellectual humility, an eagerness to learn, and the ability to move quickly while being pragmatic about your decisions. But above all else, we're looking for unique personalities with varied backgrounds that add something new to our team.
This role is for you if you:
- Have availability of 3–6 months - this gives you the opportunity to work on different product areas and projects
- Have a portfolio featuring 2–3 case studies of your interaction design and visual design work
- Are a keen problem solver - you enjoy thinking through complex design challenges and care about solving the right problem
- Have a well trained eye for great visual design execution. You care about getting things right - one pixel off is a big deal
- Have a desire to learn about product thinking and strategy - 'what we should build' is as interesting to you as 'how it should look'
- You think intentionally about how you communicate your thinking and design decisions - you want to take people along on the journey with you
- You have a desire to grow and help others around you do the same
- Have a great appetite (we love eating!)
- Design internship experience
- Bachelor’s degree in design or related design field
- Knowledge of design tools and prototyping tools
Life at Deliveroo
We are a growing team, with very large impact, seeking to answer some of the most interesting questions out there. We move fast, we’re always looking for new ideas and we’re very transparent about the decisions we make and why we make them.
There are so many questions we need to answer and plenty more we haven’t even encountered. How do data and technology help restaurants to grow as consumer habits change? How can we predict what someone wants to order for dinner long before the idea has even crossed their mind? At Deliveroo these are just some of the tough problems we are solving - and there is no challenge that cannot be yours. No solution is owned by a particular team, which means the scope for growth and personal impact is enormous.
Benefits and Diversity
At Deliveroo we know that people are the heart of the business and we prioritise their welfare. We offer a wide range of competitive benefits in areas including health, family, finance, community, convenience, growth, time away and relocation.
In 2018 we announced our decision to give every employee equity in the company. We did this because we wanted all of our employees, regardless of location, level or role to be owners and because we believe that this is the right thing to do. We believe this helps build a culture where everyone is committed and able to share in the company’s success.
We believe a great workplace is one that represents the world we live in and how beautifully diverse it can be. That means we have no judgement when it comes to any one of the things that make you who you are - your gender, race, sexuality, religion or a secret aversion to coriander. All you need is a passion for (most) food and a desire to be part of one of the fastest growing start-up’s around.