Are you passionate about Audio/Video Communication technology? Are you a Software Engineering geek? Do you have a taste for Network Technologies, Algorithmic Design, Media Quality and Performance Problems?
Vonage, the leading product in WebRTC video communications, is looking for Senior Software Engineers to join our Media Cloud Engineering team. Successful Candidates will explore new ways to further enhance OpenTok, our WebRTC-compliant Communications Platform as a Service, with new Smart Media Routing, Control and Provisioning of Cloud resources, Media Quality optimization technologies, Scalable Architecture Designs, Distributed Computing, and beyond.
The candidate will be interested in both feature development as well as systems engineering with a heavy focus on quality and reliability. He/she will have a taste for data driven approaches to get insights, and also for tracking and adopting leading Industry Standards like WebRTC/IETF and others. Drivennes and motivation to see his/her work used and deployed in large-scale production systems with extremely high service availability will be a must.
You would be joining an international, very experienced team of Software Engineers and Scientists passionate for real time communications, media, cloud infrastructure, and much more.
- Deep hands-on software development.
- Design/implement new features and strategies to improve media quality and capabilities of the Opentok platform.
- Contribute to server and software architectures for real-time media streaming, quality optimization strategies, audio/video archiving, real-time broadcast, and related systems engineering, etc…
- Design and develop approaches to measure, evaluate and improve quality in the platform end-to-end.
- Working on multiple projects covering from high-performance media servers to the needed signalling fabric in coordination with client sdk and other teams.
- Bachelor’s/Master’s degree in Software Engineering, Computer Science, Telecommunications or equivalent.
- Senior experience working on backend software engineering, with excellent debugging and problem solving skills.
- Good understanding of algorithms, data structures, memory management, and concurrency.
- Experience with Media Communication software technology; including Codecs, Real-time Video Streaming, Media Transport Protocols, and Media Quality-of-Experience optimization strategies in communication systems.
- Track record of delivering high quality code in a fast-paced environment.
- Highly customer-centric and enjoy working on large-scale problems, shipping high performance systems software while working collaboratively in a team environment.
- Ability to lead and follow. This position requires ownership of design and implementation of platform components. It also requires an ability to follow established standards and methods when contributing to platform components.
- Strong C/C++ or Java coding skills, and willingness to learn more languages.
- Excellent written and spoken English.
- Team player.
A plus, if one or more of the following are also provided:
- PhD (or equivalent experience) in media communications.
- Specific hands-on experience in software core technology with some of the following: H.264/VP8/OPUS/AAC coding structure, syntax, spec and/or underlying algorithms, WebRTC standards (w3c and/or IETF protocol recommendations), RTP/RTCP, STUN, TURN, ICE, media streaming rate-control, bandwidth estimation, familiarity with Google’s WebRTC source code (Chrome’s RTC engine), VoIP, SIP, H.323, etc…
- SQL usage and some data science skills to understand and analyse implementations behavior in production.
- Distributed messaging, publish-subscribe patterns, API design and general networking internals.