Via is using technology to transform transportation around the world. From changing a single person’s daily commute to reducing humanity’s collective environmental footprint — we’ve got huge goals.
As Payroll Analyst, you will support and manage all aspects of the employee payroll process from preparation, records maintenance, monthly reporting, and ensuring compliance with applicable laws and payroll tax obligations. You will help shape the payroll function of a rapidly expanding organization both domestically and in new international markets.
What You’ll Do:
- You will process semi-monthly payroll for Via’s US subsidiaries. In doing so, you will work closely with the People Operations and Finance teams to ensure the complete, accurate, and timely processing of payroll changes.
- Liaise with managers to ensure timely review and approval of hourly employee time sheets.
- Work in tandem with our payroll provider to understand and address tax requirements for new jurisdictions, changes in wage and tax laws, and other regulatory changes that may impact Via’s payroll. You will be the primary lead in setting up new and maintaining payroll tax accounts for Via’s expansion cities and states.
- Perform periodic audits of the payroll system data to ensure accuracy of employees’ pay data.
- Design and implement process improvements and internal controls around the payroll process.
- Lead all aspects of the monthly financial reporting process as it relates to payroll. Prepare journal entries, reporting packages on employee headcount, variance analysis, and other payroll related information for internal and external reporting purposes.
- Work closely with Finance, Legal, and People Ops to identify service providers and support the implementation of new payroll systems and processes for new international markets.
- Resolve issues and answer payroll-related questions and requests in a timely manner
- In performing the above, exercise the highest degree of confidentiality relative to all payroll information and employee privacy initiatives.
Who You Are:
- Minimum of 2+ years of hands-on and multi-state payroll experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge and ability to interpret and apply taxation, withholding, and reporting requirements at federal, state,and local levels.
- Ability to perform payroll functions with minimum supervision and make independent decisions.
- Passionate about improving processes and developing innovative solutions.
- You don’t shy away from the details, and you’re committed to completing each task with the highest degree of accuracy.
- Tech savvy, with a strong understanding of the HRIS system landscape and advanced Microsoft Office Excel skills.
- Have demonstrated experience in partnering with internal teams and juggling multiple priorities.
- Have a flexible approach with proven skills in problem solving, judgment, critical thinking and attention to detail.
- Great written and oral communication skills with the ability to interact and communicate across different levels of our organization.
- Bachelor’s Degree in finance, accounting, and/or business related fields with a strong academic record.
- Prior experience with Workday and experience at a fast-growing startup would be a plus
Compensation and Benefits
- Final salary will be determined by the candidate’s experience, knowledge, and skills. Salary reflected does not include equity or variable pay, where applicable
- Salary Range: $75,000-$85,000
- We are proud to offer a generous and comprehensive benefits package, including free medical plans and 401K matching.
We’re Via, and we build technology that changes the way the world moves. We pioneered the TransitTech category to ensure that the future of transportation is shared, dynamic public mobility — the kind that reduces carbon emissions across congested cities, minimizes reliance on private cars, and provides everyone with accessible, efficient, and affordable ways of getting around.
We created the first end-to-end TransitTech solution for cities and transit agencies, offering world-class software, service design, and operational expertise to fundamentally improve the way the world moves.
Via was founded with the guiding principle that we go further when we go together. We are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace. If you’re excited about this role but your past experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification in the job description, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles. All backgrounds, identities, and voices are welcomed and celebrated at Via.
Ready to join the ride?
Via is an equal opportunity employer.