Via is re-engineering public transit, from a regulated system of rigid routes and schedules to a fully dynamic, on-demand network. Via's mobile app connects multiple passengers who are headed the same way, allowing riders to seamlessly share a premium vehicle. First launched in New York City in September 2013, the Via platform operates in the United States and in Europe through its joint venture with Mercedes-Benz Vans, ViaVan. Via's technology is also deployed worldwide through dozens of partner projects with public transportation agencies, private transit operators, taxi fleets, private companies, and universities, seamlessly integrating with public transit infrastructure to power cutting-edge on-demand mobility. For more information, visit www.ridewithvia.com.
As Chief Executive Officer for Via Japan, you’ll lead all strategic and commercial aspects of the company’s operations in Japan by developing and converting opportunities with state, local and national transit authorities as well as large private sector transportation providers and corporate partners. You’ll provide strategic direction for new initiatives, leveraging your market expertise and spearheading first of their kind ventures, while also managing the overall operations of Via Japan.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Lead and implement the sales and partnership strategy in Japan with a focus on expanding cooperation with state, local and national transit authorities, large private sector transportation providers and corporate partners
- Oversee all operations, including management of P&L, shaping the company’s legal and policy guidelines for Japan, and day-to-day management of the team
- Partner closely with core company leadership and cross-functional teams including Finance, Sales, Expansion, Growth, and Product to drive operational and product improvements
- Build and manage a team of sales, customer success and deployment representatives
- Be the face of Via in Japan, speaking at conferences, establishing key relationships with the press and advising on local marketing plans
- Become an expert on the Via platform; display a deep understanding of its functionality, features, and impact for clients
- Actively research the competitive landscape -- identifying market, product, and pricing trends -- and succinctly share findings with key stakeholders to ensure that we’re always one step ahead
- Leadership experience at a technology company or a strong background in transportation (including strong public sector relationships), preferably in fast-paced product-driven environments
- Expertise in developing commercial relationships with senior-level officials and executives
- A history of demonstrated achievement of profitability and operational success
- Fluency in both English and Japanese
- Excellent written and verbal communication; whether in customer conversations, product presentations, or written proposals, you always strike the right tone and communicate clearly and persuasively
- Superb commercial intuition and exceptional judgement -- you know when to push and when to yield in maximizing the value of a potential deal or partnership
- Passionate and relentless about growth; you’re not deterred by setbacks and enjoy the process of building high-value relationships over time
- An independent self-starter: you thrive in fast-paced environments and feel comfortable with a very high level of responsibility
- Must be willing to travel 25–50% as needed
- Bachelor's degree from a top-tier institution; advanced degree a plus
- Location: We are open to various locations throughout Japan but prefer this position to be based out of Tokyo
Via offers above market compensation packages and benefits, including equity, health insurance, and relocation assistance.
Via is an equal opportunity employer.