The VP of Corporate Communications will set the strategic direction of Smartsheet’s communications efforts in line with our business goals, company vision and brand. We are looking for a creative and strategic thinker and doer with a track record of supporting organizations in all aspects of communication, including: executive communications, public relations, internal communications and crisis communications. The successful candidate is a team player with a can-do attitude and the ability to work across teams and projects, who can deliver effective communications strategies on deadline in a fast-paced environment. We’re looking for someone who is an innovative and strategic thinker, who can manage between high-level stakeholders and think big picture but also roll up their sleeves to get the job done. Strong writing skills, executive presence and experience and a keen understanding of the technology industry and relevant SaaS experience preferred.
Day-to-Day, you’ll be a senior leader on a high-performing marketing team and act as trusted advisor to the executive team. You will manage and mentor a growing global team of internal and external communications professionals and oversee relationships with our agency partners. You will be responsible for creation and oversight of proven strategies to maintain a dynamic flow of engaging, relevant and timely corporate, product and brand information to internal and external stakeholders, and play a key role in the company’s response to reputational issues. In addition, you will be a leading stakeholder in developing a global communications standard for all functions, levels and regions.
You will report to the Chief Marketing Officer and can be based remotely, in our offices in Bellevue, WA (HQ) or Boston, MA.
- Own, manage, and execute a global communications strategy that supports an effective, transparent communications philosophy aligned to business objectives and priorities and that builds brand awareness;
- Create and deliver an essential global communications plan that leads to long-term brand building and business goals, encompassing public relations, internal communications and executive communications;
- Lead a North American-based integrated communications team. Partner with regional marketing teams in EMEA and APAC. Manage and mentor a team of passionate communications professionals;
- Oversee all communications metrics reporting. Measure and report on communications' contribution to various marketing initiatives and campaigns and company-wide OKRs;
- Manage communications budget, optimizing value and results from agency relationships in all key regions and markets globally;
- Partner with the People & Culture team and VP of Diversity Equity and Inclusion to support key company communications, events, programs and initiatives;
- Partner with C-Suite and Investor Relations on earnings scripts and crisis communications management;
- Create, evolve and manage global communications with key stakeholders to ensure there is cohesive, consistent messaging and communications;
- Promote, maintain and defend corporate reputation; build proactive strategies and execute rapid response to time sensitive messaging, including crisis and change communications programs;
- Act as a trusted communications advisor to senior executives, advise on industry trends, and guide global corporate strategy;
- Identify, advise on and execute executive visibility initiatives and high visibility executive speaking opportunities;
- Apply subject matter expertise to contribute compelling ideas for new business proposals and present them effectively and persuasively.
- 15+ years of leadership experience in corporate communications - including experience with and managing teams in public relations, internal communications and executive communications, in the technology industry. SaaS/software experience preferred; public company experience required;
- Experience leading a team with proven ability to communicate, delegate, build a team, and develop direct reports; Minimum of 5 years in people management;
- Analytical skills, including an understanding of key financial metrics and communications requirements relevant to a publicly-traded company, as well as M&A communications experience;
- Demonstrated experience presenting to and interacting with press, executive leaders, board members, customers, and a wide variety of internal and external stakeholders;
- Experience managing relationships with PR agencies and vendors;
- Demonstrated proficiency of excellent writing and editing skills, including the ability to write about complex topics in a simple, easy to understand way;
- Ability to work one-on-one with business leaders (at all levels of the organization) on communications projects from conception to launch – and provide strategic advice and execution support throughout the process;
- Executive presence; ability to think on his/her feet and maintain calm demeanor under pressure;
- The ability to manage multiple projects at once while delivering high quality work, adhering to standards for internal client service and meeting deadlines;
- Strong team ethic and collaborative work style; but must be able to work independently, assume responsibility and be accountable. Ability to manage and coach, partner with peers and exhibit a global mindset;
- Ability to address the communications needs of a growth company that faces both opportunities and threats. Experience in crisis situations is a must.
- Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, Public Relations, Marketing, Communications, or related field required.
Perks & Benefits
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) Equity with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match to help you save for your future (50% of your contribution up to the first 6% of your eligible pay)
- Monthly stipend to support your work and productivity
- 15 days PTO to start, plus Flexible Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
- Teleworking options from any registered location in the U.S. (role specific)
Equal Opportunity Employer
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We're looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren't afraid to be innovative—join us!