We are looking for a Principal Software Engineer to build a top-tier software organization that will help design and implement Smartsheet's next generation architecture. In this role, you will mentor other engineers, scale the team and can act as a lead on projects. You will drive positive change in the work environment with a consistent track record of delivering on commitments. You will communicate proactively and effectively to different kinds of audiences, including executives and non-technical stakeholders.
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, we deliver a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes.
You will report to a Leader in our Engineering organization located in our Bellevue office and you also have the option to work remotely from any Smartsheet registered location within the United States
- Guide and mentor team members regarding architecture and best practices
- Review and coach team on project designs for design review presentations
- Solve complex technical problems in our cloud environment plus improve "Operational Excellence"
- Influence technical direction of the group towards creating a comprehensive microservices architecture
- Create a blueprint and roadmap and lead the teams through an agile process with a hands-on engineering mindset
- Improve developer experience by recommending and implementing tools for microservices monitoring/profiling/tracing
- Forge strong partnership with product management and other key areas of the business
- 5+ years of being a technical lead/architect
- Comprehensive experience in cloud technologies (aws, azure etc), Kubernetes, end-to-end monitoring and API security
- Experience building highly scalable, high availability applications
- MySQL database experience (performance, scalability, availability)
- Experience developing, documenting, and supporting REST APIs
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
Perks & Benefits:
- HSA, 100% employer-paid premiums, or Buy-up medical/vision and dental coverage options for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match to help you save for your future (50% of your contribution up to the first 6% of your eligible pay)
- Monthly stipend to support your work and productivity
- Flexible Time Away Program, plus Incidental Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
- Teleworking options from any registered location in the U.S. (role specific)
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, Australia, Costa Rica, and Germany. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We're looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren't afraid to be innovative—join us!