As the Director of Engineering you will build capabilities to empower the world's largest companies transform their approach to work. You will support teams that own identity and access as well as features that IT Administrators use to mange and secure their users and their work. You will maximize strategic outcomes through execution and service operations while helping engineers excel in their career. This position is remote eligible and reports to our Sr. Director of Engineering.
- Comfortable accepting responsibility for impact, service availability, and the effectiveness of your teams.
- Willing to challenge technical choices and your business partners to maximize impact together.
- Passionate about continuous improvement and have built learning organizations that keep up with the state-of-the-art and set an example for your team.
- An expert at Agile, continuous delivery, DevOps and will advocate for the culture and processes required to maintain smooth high-quality delivery.
- Dive deep into technology and are on the forefront of the latest tools and strategies and help evaluate, prototype, and introduce them to our team.
- Provide coaching and leadership in software best practices, automated test strategies, and work toward flattening the cost of change curve for our software services.
- Articulate both in writing and when speaking to different audiences, including executives, customers and engineers.
- A talent magnet that builds diverse teams and retains the best by keeping them engaged and motivated.
- Experienced balancing delivery and technical debt through refactoring.
- 4+ years microservice web application development.
- 10+ years of combined system architecture experience across at least 3 languages and frameworks.
- 3+ years experience managing software organizations with >20 people.
- Experience with tools such as CloudFormation, CloudTrail, CloudWatch, Elastic Load Balancing, API Gateway, AWS Lambda, EC2, Route 53, etc.
- Experience with NoSQL, Relational Databases, Object Store architectures across globally replicated cloud instances
- Experience building autoscaling, distributed systems
- BS in Computer Science or equivalent industry experience
- Strong Computer Science fundamentals in API design, data structures, and algorithms.
- Training and experience with Agile and Lean methodologies
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
Perks & Benefits:
- 100% employer-paid medical, dental, and vision coverage for full-time employees
- Equity - Restricted Stock Units (RSUs) Equity with all offers
- Lucrative Employee Stock Purchase Program (15% discount)
- 401k Match (50% up to 6%, effective May 1st) to help you save for your future
- Monthly stipend towards your commute to work
- 15 days PTO to start, plus Flexible Sick Leave
- Up to 24 weeks of Parental Leave
- Personal paid Volunteer Day to support our community
- Opportunities for professional growth and development including access to LinkedIn Learning online courses
- Company Funded Perks, including a counseling membership, primary care membership, local retail discounts, and your own personal Smartsheet account
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer committed to fostering an inclusive environment with the best employees. We provide employment opportunities without regard to any legally protected status in accordance with applicable laws in the US, UK, and Australia. If there are preparations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
At Smartsheet, we strive to build an inclusive environment that encourages, supports, and celebrates the diverse voices of our team members who also represent the diverse needs of our customers. We're looking for people who are driven, authentic, supportive, effective, and honest. You're encouraged to apply even if your experience doesn't precisely match our job description—if your career path has been nontraditional, that will set you apart. At Smartsheet, we welcome diverse perspectives and people who aren't afraid to be innovative—join us!