Senior Manager, Engineering - Android | Software-as-a-Service (Bellevue, WA)
When was the last time you had an opportunity to work at a company that was forging an industry by empowering teams and individuals to improve how they work and become more effective. Our business is built on finding great people and getting out of their way while they build and improve our award-winning Software as a Service (SaaS) offering. With over 10 million users, our platform gets used across disparate industries ranging from construction to retail to software development for over two thousand different documented use cases. This presents us with unique technical challenges and opportunities.
We are looking for a Senior Engineering Manager to build and lead a team of mobile engineers that will help design, implement and operate high quality native mobile experiences that are highly reliable, scalable, performant and secure. In this role, you will recruit, retain and coach developers, QA, and SDET engineers to innovate, execute, deliver and grow to their peak performance. You will drive positive and supportive work environment with a consistent track record of delivering on commitments. You will communicate proactively and effectively to different kinds of audiences, including executives and non-technical stakeholders.
This position is based at our headquarters in Bellevue, WA and will report to the Senior Director, Software Development.
Our team focuses on distributed decision making that rewards ownership, transparency, and collaboration. Learn more about our platform here: Smartsheet Overview Video
Job Responsibilities Include:
- Focuses on team members and coaching them to play to their strengths, grow and deliver peak performance
- Actively participate in recruiting
- Delegates well and harnesses the aggregate strength of your team.
- Focuses on individual and team needs to foster positive culture consistent with Smartsheet values.
- Actively helps individuals and the overall team to set priorities and focus.
- Guide and coach team members regarding architecture and best practices
- Review team’s designs and provide feedback on deployment safety, resilience, scale, performance and security
- Lead and facilitate cross-team interactions, communication and dependencies when necessary
- Operate the team as a small independent startup within a larger ecosystem
- Facilitate feedback and discussions with Product and UX Design on customer needs, user experience, implementation efficiency and performance,
- Forge strong partnerships with product management and other key areas of the business
- Communicate proactively and often with peers, executives and team members
Quality and Operational Excellence:
- Ensure all changes are fully tested before being deployed
- Ensure all changes have automated unit and integration tests
- Deployment plans are well considered and include appropriate scalability and load tests
- Deployments are monitored to ensure success and have fully tested rollback plans
- Live services are well monitored with automated alarms with up to date runbooks for mitigations
- Manages on-call rotation for owned services.
- 8+ years software development experience
- 4+ years mobile native software development experience
- 4+ years previous management experience
- Experience leading QA, and SDET disciplines
- Experience building highly scalable, high available customer facing applications
- Experience building high performance teams by recruiting and retention
- Strong problem solving and troubleshooting skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with frequent production releases
- Familiarity with Agile/Scrum methodologies
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis
Nice to haves:
- Experience building distributed systems.
- Experience building mobile UI Automation frameworks and tests
- Experience with AWS technologies
- Experience developing, documenting, and supporting REST APIs
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer
Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.