Smartsheet is seeking an accomplished Senior Corporate Counsel, Privacy to join our collaborative legal team. We are looking for a motivated person with to lead the legal privacy team and advise us on a range of privacy and data governance tasks projects. You will report to the VP of Legal and is located in Smartsheet’s offices in Bellevue, Washington.
- Work with important partners and direct internal privacy programs.
- Manage the legal privacy team (comprised of three other members).
- Maintain subject matter expertise in areas of privacy and data protection laws (including GDPR, ePrivacy Directive, and CCPA), regulatory guidance, and enforcement actions.
- Negotiate, draft, and review privacy and data processing contract terms in customer and vendor contracts.
- Contribute to the improvement of standard forms of agreement, alternate language playbooks, and internal resource documents on contracts and other legal practice areas.
- Provide strategic and practical counsel to internal clients (such as compliance, product, marketing, sales, and people operations) on privacy and data governance principles and requirements.
- Manage the development of Smartsheet’s (and our affiliates') privacy and data-related policies.
- Deliver general and role-specific privacy trainings.
- Collaborate with members of the legal team in Bellevue, Boston, and London, including attorney and non-attorney personnel.
- Support general business operations and complete special projects.
- 7+ years of relevant experience (in-house experience strongly preferred) with 3 years specializing in privacy and data protection matters
- Experience managing and supporting direct reports
- Experience leading and driving projects to completion.
- Expertise in negotiating contracts and working directly with sales and procurement.
- Disposition to uphold our business standards and risk tolerance and recommend practical solutions respecting such standards and tolerance
- Able to operate efficiently in a fast-paced environment that places a high premium on excellence, execution, and teamwork.
- Experience developing partnerships with other members of the legal team and members of other teams
- Excellent interpersonal skills, business acumen, and strategic thinking.
- Strong team- and service-oriented mentality..
- J.D. from an accredited law school and an active member of the WA bar.
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.