At Smartsheet, we are building the next generation workspace collaboration platform. Trust is one of our core values, and as an engineering organization, we execute that core value by maintaining and innovating on systems that secure our customers’ data. As we continue to grow our customer base, we are seeking a Principal Infrastructure Security Engineer who understands how major systems and enterprises are operated, monitored and defended against the most aggressive threat actors. This role is a critical part of the engineering organization.
A qualified candidate will leverage years of experience in the information security sector in protecting the organization through ongoing monitoring and defense. This candidate will recommend systems and changes, identify gaps in capabilities and be aware of the latest actors, malware and techniques being exploited by attackers across threat landscapes. Candidates will have a strong understanding of underlying infrastructure technology, how it is deployed and what kinds of structures and configurations lead to the most resilient deployments and how threat actors can be most easily identified.The candidate will have a passion for the protection and defense of a company’s key assets and have a “security mindset” for detecting badness and eradicating it.
The reporting structure will be determined based upon the capability and experience of the selected candidate. The selected candidate will have key relationships with both the Senior Director of Security Engineering and the Security Engineering Manager. The position will be located in our Bellevue, WA headquarters.
- Design and champion a Threat, Detection, and Response program from its inception – utilizing the selection of new tools and technology, automation, and working with service providers/MSSP’s.
- Responsible for the selection of cutting-edge tools. Will work to automate threat detection, incident response and other relevant functions wherever possible. Advise in the selection and management of a relationship with suitable MSSP provider.
- Serve as point of contact for high profile incidents. Ability to interact at all levels and maintain strong working relationships with Engineering groups and relevant business stakeholders to communicate potential risks.
- Work in concert with other Information Security Functions and team members to influence related aspects of the information security program—providing feedback into control effectiveness (false positives/negatives) and improve risk exposure.
- Collaborate across engineering and other operational teams to enhance detection strategies.
- Provide SME and Guidance during meetings with senior leadership and business partners on related topics.
- Guide expansion of monitoring capability across product and enterprise.
- Oversee creation or use of automated alerting rules, anomaly detection and thresholds.
- Analyze, document and communicate gaps in existing systems and capabilities.
- Review use and monitoring to understand response and fine tune system.
- A solid foundation as a Security Infrastructure Engineer.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in areas that encompass incident response, forensics, SIEM monitoring, Intrusion Detection, network analysis or other “SOC-Like” functions.
- A referenceable history of training and continued learning in the areas of threat detection, incident handling and defense in depth
- Have identified security gaps and weaknesses in products and designs.
- Strong written and verbal communication, and teaching skills.
- Evaluating and communicating risk in a fact-based manner.
- Ability to work independently in a fast-paced environment with frequent production releases and changes.
- Ability to be creative, flexible, and objective in a dynamic, rapidly changing environment.
- Legally eligible to work in the U.S. on an ongoing basis.
- Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent background.
Nice to have:
- Experience defending IaaS, PaaS or SaaS products.
- Deeply understand infrastructure and system security.
- Experience implementing and configuring complex product and enterprise infrastructure.
- On the ground understanding of complex breach and incident response.
- Strong bias toward action, while flexible and resourceful.
- Professional engineering experience.
- Experience with FedRAMP or federal government environment or other complex compliance regimes.
In 2005, Smartsheet was founded on the idea that teams and millions of people worldwide deserve a better way to deliver their very best work. Today, the company delivers a leading cloud-based platform for work execution, empowering organizations to plan, capture, track, automate, and report on work at scale, resulting in more efficient processes and better business outcomes. Smartsheet went public on the New York Stock Exchange in April 2018 and currently enables collaboration, better decision making, and accelerated innovation for over 76,000 domain-based customers in 190 countries, including 96 of the Fortune 100.
Smartsheet is a place where people love what they do and are empowered to do their best work everyday. We support one another and achieve our goals as a team, not as individuals. Each person, at every level, gets to have an impact.
Smartsheet is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Individuals seeking employment at Smartsheet are considered without regard to race, ethnicity, color, age, sex, religion, national origin, ancestry, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information, physical or mental disability, registered domestic partner status, caregiver status, marital status, veteran or military status, citizenship status, or any other legally protected category.