Our mission is to protect life.
We’re out to make the world a safer place by solving big problems and taking on the public safety challenges of our time. From our company's inception building the TASER device to a full suite of hardware and software solutions, we are focused on providing police agencies with state-of-the-art devices and services they need to successfully serve and protect us. In the next few years, we're going to eliminate the burden of paperwork in policing, so officers can increase the time they spend building relationships and serving in their communities. We’ll put video at the heart of police records so our justice system can get to the truth faster. And we won't stop innovating until the bullet is rendered obsolete.
It’s a big mission, but it’s one we’ll pursue relentlessly every single day.
Build AR and VR Solutions for Social Good:
We are working with cutting edge technology and need your help to make it all come together. You will join an interdisciplinary team tackling the biggest challenges in public safety training head-on, including immersive VR based empathy, coping and de-escalation training to help officers engage with the communities they serve, with greater awareness and safety.
As one of the expanding members of the Axon’s AR/VR team, the 3D Artist will create a realistic world for our customers. This role will partner with engineering, content, UX and user research to create the best visual immersive quality products for our trainings.
Our AR/VR Team
We believe that happy teams make the best products, so we foster a friendly, open, introspective team culture that encourages everyone to speak their mind, collaborate together, and have fun. The team conducts daily check-ins, open format meetings, as well as a weekly VR Happy Hour in headset!
We believe we can only succeed if we deeply understand our customers and get to know them. We spend a lot of time with law enforcement officers to learn about their needs, watch their experience and see the real impact of our work. We also work closely with our Axon Community Impact team, along with other community subject experts to create our content and curriculum to reflect the needs of both law enforcement + community.
What about the day-to-day?
You will be responsible for building our virtual worlds, creating the environment and objects inside this world to give our customers realistic training scenarios. You will partner with UX, Content, Product Management and Engineering. On any given day you may find yourself:
- Building a new realistic, low polygon environment from conception, to blocking, to modeling, to texturing, to optimizing for VR, all the way to integration
- Creating game ready models and environments for use in VR
- Talking to your team of artists about what makes a game space immersive, fun and play well
- Getting into headset to see how the environments are playing and to give notes to an engineer
- Create visually compelling environment assets such as roads, buildings, props, terrain, and vegetation
- Translate concept art and design ideas into virtual environments
- Collaborating with Technical Artists on lighting, PBR shaders, and asset integration
- Attending standup meetings in VR to connect with team members
- Create UV layouts, textures, and materials for game environments following a PBR pipeline.
- Work with engineers and technical artists to define and improve our asset pipeline.
- Collaborate with the Art Director and Narrative Designer on scene composition
- Laying out virtual environments based on subject matter experts feedback and blocking
- Learning about the latest trends/experiences in XR, and experimenting with them yourself
- 3-5 years of game industry experience with equivalent title
- A portfolio of highly detailed 3D art, with a focus on realistic environments
- Expert in realistic environments, 2D texture map painting, and material setup/UV layout
- High proficiency with Photoshop, Maya / 3DSMax, Substance Designer/Painter, and ZBrush
- Able to ideate environments that fit within conceptual designs, technical parameters, and production goals
- Strong understanding of visual and architectural concepts
- Possess artistic and technical expertise in scene composition, lighting, and environmental FX
- An understanding of the art production processes, and experience with the full development cycle in shipped titles
- Ensure that art assets are game-ready (fully optimized for use in engine without compromising visual fidelity)
- Strong problem-solving skills, both technical and cross-department
- Experience with a modern 3D game engine such as Unity and Unreal.
- Works effectively with cross-functional teams
- Experience creating titles on XR platforms like Hololens, Oculus, HTC Vive, or PlayStation VR.
- Shipped multiple AAA titles or equivalent work
- A constant desire to learn, improve, and help others improve
Compensation and Benefits
- Competitive salary and 401K with employer match.
- Discretionary paid time off.
- Restricted Stock Units
- Robust parental leave policy.
- An award-winning office/working environment.
- Ride along with real police officers in real life situations, explore wide range of third-party VR content, get inspired.
- Get paid to play
- And more...
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.