Location: New York, NY or Raleigh, NC
Reports to: VP, Legal
AlphaSense is a search engine for market intelligence that transforms how decisions are made by the world’s leading corporations and financial institutions. Leveraging AI and NLP technology, AlphaSense enables knowledge professionals to extract insights in seconds from thousands of disparate data sources, including company filings, event transcripts, news and trade journals, and equity research. Founded in 2011 and backed by investors including Innovation Endeavors and Soros Fund Management, AlphaSense is on a mission to empower organizations to make data-driven decisions with confidence.
About the Team:
AlphaSense has a great opportunity for a Corporate Counsel of Commercial Contracts to join our legal team. Legal is a critical function in supporting the company’s fast-paced environment and acts as a true business partner to all of our leaders across the organization. We work hand-in-hand with cross functional teams to provide solutions to enable and empower the company to achieve substantial growth targets while managing risk and protecting our business.
About the Role:
This role can either be based in our New York, New York headquarters or remote. The Corporate Counsel of Commercial Contracts is primarily responsible for independently drafting, reviewing and negotiating a variety of commercial contracts, with a heavy emphasis on revenue-generating contracts with our customers. The Corporate Counsel will report to AlphaSense’s VP of Legal but will partner with all levels and functions of the business, including Sales, Marketing, Information Security, Product, and Content, among others, to help AlphaSense achieve its high-growth goals. This role is essential to our growth and will have an immediate impact in our dynamic, fast-paced culture.
Who You Are:
- J.D. from a top-tier law school and admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction;
- 3 to 5 years experience drafting, reviewing, and negotiating commercial software and technology subscription agreements in-house or with a nationally recognized law firm;
- Ability to manage a high volume of commercial contracts including Master Services Agreements, Services Agreements, SOWs, Service Level Agreements, Orders Forms, NDAs; etc.;
- Superior business acumen with an unrivaled commitment and deep-seated need to provide responsive client service to our teams and get things done; approaches responsibilities with a business friendly and pragmatic mindset while maintaining a commensurate balance of legal risk;
- Energetic, authentic, and friendly with a great sense of humor; capable of displaying strong negotiation skills and the ability to support difficult positions in a firm and patient manner;
- Effective communicator with the ability to interact with both internal and external professionals of all types and backgrounds;
- Proficient with contracts management software; and
- Experience with information security, data privacy, intellectual property, and/or financial services a plus.
What You’ll Do:
- Above all else, you will take ownership of drafting, reviewing, and reviewing the company’s commercial contracts and provide general transactional support cross the organization with a heavy emphasis on sales;
- Help create and enhance playbooks to establish company parameters to scale the legal function as the company grows;
- Establish the proper processes and procedures to ensure commercial contracts are always provided prompt attention;
- Provide legal and strategic business advice to ensure agreements are consistent with playbooks, internal policies, and processes;
- Remain informed of the shifting legal landscape relating to applicable laws, regulations and industry guidance that impact commercial agreements.
- Support the VP of Legal on corporate and general legal matters as needed.