At Too Good To Go, we have an ambitious goal: to inspire and empower everyone to fight food waste together.
More than 40% of all food produced in the world is wasted and retailers lose between 1-3% of their annual sales due to food waste, all of this waste has a huge impact on the health of our planet, with 10% of greenhouse gas emissions coming from food waste.
The Retail Technologies team are working on our new software solution that is used directly by Retailers to identify and manage their inventory before it becomes food waste and further extending our expertise and in-store solutions beyond our marketplace supporting stores in managing their unsold and surplus products.
We’re more than an app: we are a certified B Corporation with a mission to empower everyone to take action against food waste, so alongside our marketplace app, we create educational tools, explore new business solutions - such as our Retail Technologies offering, and influence legislation to help reduce food waste.
We are growing fast, with a community of 76 million users in 17 countries. Together, we have saved more than 218 million meals from going to waste since we started - but there’s still a lot more we want to achieve.
We are looking for a Senior Data Engineer to be a part of our Product Teams that define, build and deliver our product features. Working in a product team means you will work towards specific outcomes with the freedom and responsibility to figure out the best route to achieve them together with the other Engineers and Product members of the Team.
Your mission will be to help refine, design, implement, deliver and maintain various product features. You will be one of several developers, working as part of a multidisciplinary team and will bring your knowledge and expertise to the table.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will actively support your engineering lead in delivering a quality, maintainable and international top-class product, whilst being a role model for less-senior team members, by taking responsibility for problems and using your expertise to identify the right solutions.
The Tech Stack
We use SnowFlake for our data warehouse, DBT to define transformations and Airflow to orchestrate them. To visualise we currently use Redash but are migrating to Looker.
- Build and maintain our data infrastructure by:
- Collect and send this data to and from the appropriate place, we are obtain data from our partners but also from our app FoodMemo.
- Aggregating raw data into precomputed tables for dashboards, we have two dashboards, one internal facing & one for our partners.
- Create pipelines for our Machine Learning algorithms
- Maintain our KPIs for internal dashboards
- In other words, you will make sure that the wealth of data generated and collected is safe and efficiently accessible to those who need to use and understand it.
- Participate in mentoring, and coaching whilst actively giving and encouraging regular feedback with those around you.
- Be an inspirational member of the team, ensuring those around you follow and trust in your actions towards building the best long-term product
- Be responsible by acting as an owner for problems which may arise, unless agreed upon by others, we will count on you to look at the bigger picture, even if this may fall outside of your usual day-to-day.
- Think big, we want you to push your limits, and think outside of the box, addressing ways in which we can add scalability to our work.
- Simplify things and break down what looks hard into smaller digestible pieces:
- Spread your expertise
- Distribute work
- Deliver on commitments and be accountable. This is your chance to #buildalegacy.
- Actively participate in your teams’ agile development processes, with a continuous improvement mindset"
The Ideal candidate
- You are a senior, and with it have a wealth of experience as a data engineer
- You know SQL perfectly and you also have experience with DBT.
- In addition, you know that the devil is in the detail and you enjoy looking for and fixing those small errors that can create inconsistencies.
- You enjoy working in a cross-functional team and exchanging with different stakeholders to understand their needs and build the best solution possible.
What we offer
- An opportunity to have a huge impact, knowing what you help design will be used daily by hundreds of thousands of store employees daily, enabling to save millions of food items per day.
- This a rare opportunity to work in a global social impact company (and certified B Corporation!) where you can see a real and tangible impact in your role.
- An autonomous environment, with several opportunities to contribute, build on experience and take ownership of your work in a way that works for you.
- A nice bunch of colleagues in the Paris office 🙂 (~100+ people) and beyond them 1,300+ colleagues across 17 countries that are on the same important mission.
- Opportunity to influence our product, design and ways of working, every day.
- An informal atmosphere, with a strong, values-driven team culture where we celebrate successes and socialise with colleagues that care to offer
- We work from the office on Monday, Tuesday and Thursday
- We fight together: food waste is a big beast to fight. We can do it if we fight together as Waste Warriors with no ego. We believe in a #oneteam.
- We raise the bar: we always push for more. We work smart, smash barriers, and elevate one another.
- We keep it simple: our ambitions are bold but our solutions are simple.
- We build a legacy: we’re proud of the change we’re driving.
- We care: we always look out for each other. Caring is also about the way we do business. We do the right thing.
Job Ref: #LI-RS1
A Movement for Everyone
We want to inspire and empower everyone to fight food waste together. With that mission, it’s only natural that we want to build a diverse and inclusive team of highly capable individuals who are passionate about doing things in a better way. We strongly believe we all excel and are more creative when we’re allowed to be ourselves, and we’re committed to a culture where all of us belong.
We are an equal opportunity employer and all employment is decided on the basis of qualifications, merit and business need. If you need reasonable accommodation at any point in the application or interview process, please let us know.