takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Data & DevOps Engineer for our DataOps team in Cape Town.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us. We offer a market related, Total Remuneration Package which allows full flexibility according to your needs, a great work environment and a promise that you won’t be bored as long as you are prepared for a challenge and want to build something great.
At Takealot, our DataOps Team is focused on delivering value faster by creating predictable delivery and change management of data, data models and related artifacts. DataOps uses technology to automate the design, deployment and management of data delivery with appropriate levels of governance, and it uses metadata to improve the usability and value of data in a dynamic environment. Takealot is growing quickly, which brings a number of unique and interesting challenges. Data is growing quickly within the organization, and there is a lot of opportunity to shape the tools, technologies and culture of data in the company.
This position reports to the Data Platform Team Lead
Your responsibilities will include:
- Terraform to manage Cloud Infrastructure, Chef to manage virtual servers
- Building and deploying systems for metrics, monitoring, and logging
- Operations for Kafka, Kubernetes, and more
- CI/CD Build Systems to ensure our teams can deploy frequently and safely
- Code management and review
- Hardening servers, and building security into the platform
- Developing automation so we can focus on the hard problems
- Implementing features, technology, and processes that move us towards industry best practices, improving on scalability, efficiency, reliability, and security
- Responding to incidents and requests
- Is passionate about technology, enjoys keeping up to date with the industry
- Always learning
- Is a team player that can function as an individual
- Excellent communication skills
- Shows solid reasoning and decision making
- Has a deep understanding of database engines
- Confident in his/her ability and skills
Qualifications and experience:
- Bachelor’s Degree or Advanced Diploma in Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics, Engineering and a minimum of 3 years of DataOps experience in a software/technology environment is required.
- In the event that a candidate does not have a bachelor’s degree or an advanced diploma (in Information Systems, Computer Science, Mathematics, or Engineering), an equivalent experience requirement must be met, which equates to a minimum of 6 years of DataOps experience in a software/technology environment.
- An understanding of computer science fundamentals, including linux and operating systems, networking
- Solid grasp of development fundamentals such as data structures and algorithms
- Can write code (preferably in Python)
- Experience with open source relational database systems (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- Practical experience working with other database systems like BigQuery, Redis and ElasticSearch will be beneficial
- Has experience with Kafka, PubSub, or other event-based systems
- Has experience with Google Cloud, or another cloud provider (architecture, operations)
- Understands cost and implications of scaling
- Has experience managing Kubernetes Clusters (certificates, users, kubeadm, kubectl etc.)
- Understands networking deeply (tcp/ip, calico/weave, vlans, tcpdump, routing etc.)
- Understands Linux deeply (kernel tuning, proc filesystem, cgroups, os scheduling, etc.)
- Has experience with Build Systems (Jenkins, Gitlab, Spinnaker)
- Has a reasonable understanding of Networking (TCP, UDP, IP)
- Has experience with Linux administration (Processes, Networking, Storage, Security)
- Has experience with at least one configuration management system (Chef, Puppet, Ansible)
- Has experience managing production systems
- takealot.com employees are entrepreneurial and dynamic, smart, customer-centric, fun and have the shared ambition of takealot.com being the leading e-commerce company in Africa.
- We have fun, work hard, take ownership, work in teams to create solutions and are always open to direct feedback/new ideas on where we can improve.
- We are short on ego and high on output.
- We are doers and not only thinkers, its all in the execution after all.
- We love what we do and what we are creating.
We seek to employ an Extraordinary Mind who:
- is forthright but respectful
- is an expert at doing, who can not only design but also execute
- is analytical, able to use data to make decisions
- is competitive, self-directed and strive to be the BEST (GREAT requires a lot of work and does not only happen during business hours
- is passionate about the potential of e-commerce and delivering a world-class customer experience
- is entrepreneurial, thrives under change and accepts it is a constant and always looks for solutions to do something better and faster
- is able to think about problems from a business perspective using technical and product input
- is curious and challenge the status quo
- is innovative and enjoys iteration
- is collaborative
- will be at the cutting edge of developing new concepts for takealot.com.
- thinks like an owner of the business.
- is SMART, has INTEGRITY and is HARDWORKING
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind so come and join us!
I acknowledge that if I have a personal information access request or a deletion request in terms of the Protection of Personal Information Act, that request can be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.