takealot.com, a leading South African online retailer, is looking for a highly talented Database Administrator to join our team.
We are a young, dynamic, hyper-growth company looking for smart, creative, hard-working people with integrity to join us!
Think you’ve been challenged before? Think again!
- Scale: Over 2.5 million happy shoppers shop online on takealot.com. Show them what you can do.
- Learn: We work with the best of the best, and then some. Code alongside industry leaders and upskill in record time.
- Grow: Expand your career in the fast-growing Takealot Group: takealot.com, Superbalist.com, and Mr D Food. We like to promote from within: Here’s your chance.
Who’s who in the tech space
This position reports to the Data Platform Team Lead
Your mission, should you choose to accept it:
- Develop and support multiple MySQL and Postgres database instances, including cloud based solutions
- Manage database capacity and usage, and able to highlight trends and future requirements
- Monitor and optimise database performance
- Develop, manage and improve high-availability solutions including Disaster Recovery
- Develop backup and recovery procedures
- Develop and support database replication
- Work with team mates to improve processes and standards
- Support the creation and maintenance of development and test database environments
- Management of database script review, improvement and approval process
- Be on-call for after-hours support as part of rotation in team
The skills we need:
- Solutions-oriented, can-do attitude and high energy
- Strong analytical and critical thinking, using data to inform decisions
- Ability to disaggregate and structure solutions to ambiguous problems
- Solid quantitative skills
- Ability to interview and interact professionally with internal and external people
- Capability to present ideas succinctly, in writing and verbally
- Versatile and with the appetite to learn by doing
- Able to function with minimal supervision, drive own initiatives
- Forward thinking with the ability to be innovative and drive initiatives
Qualifications & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree, with a major in a quantitative subject and a minimum of 3 years of experience in an analytical role (e.g. in e-commerce, consulting, engineering) is required.
- In the event that a candidate does not have a Bachelor's Degree (with a major in a quantitative subject), an equivalent experience requirement must be met, which equates to a minimum of 6 years of experience in an analytical role (e.g. in e-commerce, consulting, engineering).
- Demonstrated experience with relational database physical design
- A thorough understanding of database principles
- Experience with open source relational database systems (MySQL, PostgreSQL)
- CloudSQL/RDS will be beneficial
- Experience in Linux administration (Processes, Networking, Storage, Security)
- Solid understanding of virtualization, cloud computing, containers (GCP/AWS preferably)
- Experience with monitoring tools like Prometheus, OpsGenie, and Percona will be beneficial
- Practical experience working with other database systems like BigQuery, Redis and ElasticSearch will be beneficial
- Experience with Data Warehousing, Data Lakes, Lambda/Kappa architectures will be beneficial
Let’s talk about life @ Takealot Group
- The power is in your hands: We offer a market-related, Total Remuneration Package that allows full flexibility according to your needs. Go on, be the master of your own destiny.
- No doors: We aren’t fans of stuffy offices or siloed work environments. See someone you like? High five, collab and make something great.
- Remote working: Love water cooler chats and working from home? Takealot.com offers a hybrid working model for the best of both worlds.
- Mentorship programme: We aren’t kidding when we say the people with the best people win. Now’s your chance to be one of the best, by learning from the best.
- Naspers Tech Community & Online Learning: Share ideas and grow with global industry leaders who are all just a Slack message away. Love to learn? Up-skill with free access to courses on MyAcademy, Udacity, Coursera and more.
- Good times: Get to know the other extraordinary minds at takealot.com during regular social events and out-of-office activities (think hikes, think mini-golf, think good times).
- Staff discount. Millions of products across 28 departments. What more could you ask for?
- Birthday leave: Cake Day all the way. Enjoy your day off - you deserve it.
- Right tools, right job: Mac or Windows, two monitors or one. Whatever your preference, you’ll work on the latest tech, off the latest tech.
- Help when you need it most: Confidential counselling, legal support and financial guidance, for free, anytime, anywhere.
- Tech stack (for days): ReactJS, Python, Scala, Kotlin, Swift, Google Cloud, Kafka, Redis, Kubernetes and all things machine learning. If you build it, they will come.
- Free parking: No more 5km fun runs to your desk (unless you want to).
Like what you see?
If you meet the above you are an Extraordinary Mind. Apply today!!
Takealot is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Applicants from the previously disadvantaged groups and people with disabilities will be given preference.