PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
PlayStation HQ in San Mateo, CA
How would you like to influence the most successful gaming platform of all time, by leading teams that test and analyze the technology PlayStation developers use to build best-selling games?
Sony Interactive Entertainment (PlayStation) has an exciting career opportunity! We are looking for a creative, diligent Software Engineering Manager in Test who will be responsible for leading quality engineering teams. These teams will research and build the next generation of PlayStation's testing technology, and, as their leader, you will set this future technology's direction.
Experience is flexible: We are open to all applicants who are both people managers and technical leaders. Software engineers who are strong leaders ready to move into management positions are also welcome.
Join us, and coordinate with our internal software development teams in building the core technology behind the console games of tomorrow. This involves analyzing the quality of, and generally supporting, PlayStation projects such as CPU compilers built from open-source LLVM compiler infrastructure, real-world audio and video codecs, groundbreaking graphics technology, and the full PlayStation software development kit (SDK) required to build our PS5 games. If any of these projects sound exciting, please apply!
- Lead a diverse team of our Software Engineers in Test. Handle hiring, mentoring, work planning, career growth, and performance management.
- Support our internal R&D test groups in maintaining and improving tools and infrastructure to build and test PlayStation sample applications.
- Research and craft new tools for overcoming inefficient processes by automating work.
- Coordinate construction of testing plans, samples, and documentation with our global software production, documentation, and remote offshore engineering teams.
- Lead retrospective analysis of activities and champion continuous process improvement.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
- Proficient in Python programming.
- Enough C++ experience to provide guidance to junior engineers in code review.
- A solid understanding of the software development lifecycle, and ability to apply proven software methodologies to testing and to driving reductions in technical debt.
- Experience with software engineering practices, software automation and testing systems (for example, Jenkins).
- The following are a plus (but not required): Past experience with cloud computing and containerization (Docker), or game development.
Skills and Characteristics
- For Software Engineer applicants: Experience in leading project needs and requirements in an Agile environment (for example, successful stints as a Scrum Master).
- For Engineer Manager applicants: Proven success leading medium size Agile teams in the QA and testing domain. (Software engineering managers with deep experience and understanding of testing groups and processes should also apply.)
- Possessing outstanding verbal and written communication skills, which encompass presenting to product managers, software engineers, project managers, and customers.
- Experience recruiting software engineering talent.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.