PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Combat Designer
Bluepoint Games has begun the exciting work of original development and seeks passionate, industry-leading talent to join our pursuit of consistently crafting Game of the Year quality experiences. Our studio is renowned for critically acclaimed titles that exceed what the world expects of us, most recently the PS4 remake of Shadow of the Colossus the PS5 launch title Demon's Souls.
Please note: This is not an entry-level or mid-level position. Previous professional experience and accomplishments in this role are required.
- Collaborate with engineers to create new tools and systems
- Design, develop, and polish unique game content and systems
- Evolve gameplay systems while pulling from extensive knowledge of competitive products and various gameplay genres/trends
- Focus on character designs from concept to implementation
- Tune key aspects of the game, including AI gameplay, character balance, and controls
- Work alongside level designers to build relationships between gameplay elements
- At least 5 years of professional experience in video game combat design, with at least one shipped title (excluding academic projects)
- Strong communication skills and the ability to convey abstract concepts with other members of the team
- Strong documentation and data organization. Follow established name schemes and document new processes that you create or use on a daily basis
- Experience using both text-based and GUI-based scripting systems
- Knowledge of competitive products and various gameplay genres/trends
The ideal candidate shall also have:
- Intermediate knowledge of Maya or other major 3D programs
- Animation knowledge to collaborate with artists for combat tuning.
- Full understanding of game workflows and pipelines
- Desire to learn new techniques and technologies
- Desire to mentor and share experience/knowledge with others
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.