PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
***This position has the flexibility to be fully remote***
Senior Staff Character Concept Artist
Sony Bend Studio, renowned creator of Days Gone, Uncharted: Golden Abyss, and Syphon Filter, is seeking outstanding talent to join our passionate and creative family in crafting our next high-profile AAA title.
We are seeking a Senior Staff Concept Artist who will contribute to the artistic vision and development of a AAA product with a specialized focus on creating character and enemy concept art, utilizing a combination of traditional fine art and visual design skills.
- Create Character concept designs that drive the artistic goals and vision through all phases of the game development cycle from pre-production through final product release.
- Primary role includes designs for characters, NPCs, creatures, movement, character skins, and character VFX previz.
- Supportive role consists of storyboards, cinematic illustrations or mood pieces, weapon and vehicle designs, and production sheets for external development.
- Collaborate across multiple disciplines - stakeholders, production, game design, art, engineering, and outsource management.
- Uphold character design quality bar across the product.
- Senior role within the art team entails participation in production scheduling, facilitate conversations around technical discussions, crucial conversations, inspire team confidence, team performance reviews, and career mentorship.
- Advanced understanding of human, creature anatomy, and mechanical design.
- Mastery of foundational art skills including design principals, composition, painting, drawing, sketching, lighting, perspective and color theory.
- Expert in the use of Photoshop/Painter.
- Extensive portfolio with examples of current, hands-on work, including concept art ranging from human, creature, and mechs, production designs, storyboards and other visual images that demonstrate breadth of skill.
- Familiarity with working on live video games (GAAS), product development and workflow, character turnarounds, storyboards, and marketing materials.
- Strong communication skills via individual team member meetings or within group settings.
- The ability to document processes and best practices to scale knowledge.
- Strong time visual development skills, with the ability to break down tasks and assignments and prioritize them into workable pieces on a daily, weekly, and project length basis. Be the visual driver and inspire confidence across the product. Able to manage long-term projects.
- 5+ years of experience in a production environment, be it games, film, and/or television.
- One or two years of post-high school education or training
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.