As the only truly unified cloud communications platform that integrates both UCaaS and CCaaS (contact center), Dialpad is on a mission to prove that employees don’t need to be in the office, stuck at a desk, or wearing pants to be 110% effective at their job. Our patented Voice Intelligence technology is embedded in every call to transcribe conversations, capture action items, provide coaching, analyze sentiment, and more—in real time.
Who we are
At Dialpad, work isn’t a place you go, it's a thing you do. And we don’t just build products for everywhere workers—we are everywhere workers. With offices in the Bay Area, Austin, Raleigh, Vancouver, Waterloo, Tokyo, London, Sydney, and Bangalore, along with remote workers around the world, we are dedicated to building a diverse workforce, where each individual is welcomed and valued for their personhood and contribution.
With a $1.2 billion valuation and over $250 million in funding from Google Ventures, Andreessen Horowitz, OMERS Growth Equity, ICONIQ Capital, Felicis Ventures, Work-Bench, Scale Ventures, and other top VCs, Dialpad attracts top talent from leading tech companies, and every member of our team plays an essential role in creating dynamic products that enable workers to collaborate and be productive from anywhere.
Dialpad’s Platform Engineering organization is responsible for building and maintaining the telephony platform that supports all of our cloud native products and services: Talk, Contact Center, Sales Dialer, Video Conferencing.
Every day, millions of people across the world use our platform for communicating effectively and efficiently. Platform Engineering teams focus on areas of backend infrastructure that can scale seamlessly across both in-house and public cloud datacenters. You will also build state of the art systems that enable fast deployment, provide proactive monitoring and alerting for the platform, improving developer productivity and more.
As an Engineering Manager, in this high impact role, you will lead, grow, and nurture the software engineering team(s) that own platform infrastructure by collaborating with other leaders at Dialpad. Our teams are growing fast, are globally distributed, and so we are looking for leaders who are awesome human beings, great communicators, excellent strategists, strong technologists, and dreamers!
What you will achieve
In your first 30 days:
- You'll experience our comprehensive onboarding and learn about Dialpad's culture & values
- Work closely with your mentor to set up your development environment and learn about our products and our software development processes, workflows and tools
- Get to know the Platform Engineering teams and your new direct reports including their career aspirations and identifying key development areas for your team
- Start building cross functional relationships with your engineering management peers as well as Product and QA teams
In your first 6 months:
- Build a solid working relationship with the team with proactive mentoring, coaching and having performance and career growth discussions
- Define, prioritize and execute platform development discussions and map functional requirements, roadmaps to technical designs and project schedules
- Evaluate architecture choices on an ongoing basis, in anticipation of increased scale and ever-evolving technology to meet the demands of a rapidly growing business
- Work with geographically distributed peer engineering managers to align engineering-wide priorities
- Drive effective engineering processes and policies
- Scale the team by recruiting candidates from diverse backgrounds
By 1 year:
- Design infrastructure modules and features for high performance, scalability and security
- Code review, troubleshoot and provide technical guidance for the team
- Act as a SME (both technical and functional) and guide the team to overcome complex problems on the infrastructure front
- Build cohesive, high-functioning teams that thrive in a culture of trust, respect and inclusion
- Guide by giving your team(s) the tools, context, confidence and motivation to make decisions effectively and independently
- Take responsibility for the team’s short-term and long-term strategy. Define the team's success metrics, and priorities in close collaboration with other engineering teams and multi-functional partners.
- Maintain a balance between building sustainable, high-impact projects and shipping things quickly
Who you are
Highly empathetic, collaborative, and with an ego-free approach to leadership, you are an experienced people manager who works with stakeholders and domain experts across the company to design solutions to user problems. You actively engage in performance conversations, recognizing the relationship between constructive feedback and career growth. You’ll develop our current teams and hire additional engineers, empower them to have an owner mentality in their roles, and continually foster an environment for team members to feel psychologically safe to contribute ideas and interact with peers.
- 3+ years’ experience leading a high-performing team of engineers, including managing and shipping cross-functional or multi-team projects
- Exceptional track record for delivery, as well as a demonstrated background of innovation and/or influential impact
- Attention to detail and a strong passion for quality – experience architecting, designing and developing high quality software applications
- Strong technical background with hands-on experience in solving large and complex technical challenges, with the ability to make decisions swiftly and thoughtfully
- You love working on complicated software architectures of high concurrency and scale
We’ve been named a Top Workplace seven times because we truly live and breathe our culture. In alignment with one of our core values, “Skill & Will,” we strive to bring on only the most passionate and talented people to our team. Collectively, Dialers work together to solve problems that help the everyday worker. We foster a collaborative environment where people are elevated, wins are celebrated, and development is encouraged.
Compensation and Equity
Teamwork makes the dream work. Recognizing that our talented and committed team members drive our success, Dialpad offers competitive salaries in addition to stock options because each Dialer participates in our success.
Healthcare and Wellness
Stay healthy and happy! All employees will be covered with medical insurance along with up to five dependent members of the family. We even offer a monthly stipend to help cover your gym membership costs and offer a variety of wellness events to attend. Who wants to join a fitness class, a zen session, or a cooking class? That and more are available to all Dialpad employees!
Equity, Balance, and Belonging
At Dialpad, we value the humanity that makes each of us unique. We strive to ensure everyone is supported equitably, and Dialers are free to bring their full selves to work each day, and celebrate others doing the same. We champion the intersectionality that exists between gender identity, ethnicity, age, disability status, and the many other aspects of our greater humanity.
Flexible Work Accommodations
These days, it’s business as unusual. That’s why we offer a monthly stipend to help cover your cell phone and home internet. We also cover costs for home office equipment and encourage employees to take advantage of our generous time off and vacation policy.
We believe in your future as much as you do! That's why we offer a yearly stipend for continued learning and education expenses.
Meals & Transportation
Use a prepaid card to pay for the commute to the office and enjoy meals, snacks, and drinks on us.
Dialpad is an equal opportunity employer. We are dedicated to creating a community of
inclusion and an environment free from discrimination or harassment.