CookUnity is the first ever chef-to-consumer platform. Connecting a diverse group of talented chefs with busy food lovers, we’re elevating the at-home dining experience. On a quest to unlock the world’s best food creators and bring their meals to the masses, CookUnity is home to more than 35 of NYC and LA’s most talented chefs. Through a weekly subscription, consumers can select from a robust and ever-changing menu of handcrafted meals that cater to a wide variety of palates and dietary preferences.
Delivering more than 3.5M meals per year and growing 5x YoY, CookUnity is also helping Chefs double their income and build their own teams under their personal brands.
Believing that healthy food fuels stronger communities, CookUnity contributes to an ongoing partnership and donation with the Food Bank For New York City, the city’s major hunger-relief organization working to end food poverty across all five boroughs.
A growing startup with kitchens in Brooklyn and Los Angeles, CookUnity reaches subscribers throughout the country, with ambitious expansion planned for 2021.
What we're looking for
We are looking for a customer-obsessed Product Design leader who can lead design across our eater and chef-facing digital product experiences. They should have experience leading teams of researchers, copywriters, and product designers to create world-class consumer marketplace or e-commerce products, as well as the strategic mindset to join CookUnity’s senior leadership team.
We believe that deeply understanding the needs, pains, and opportunities for our users will enable us to create a breakthrough digital experience. You will play a lead role in establishing this deep understanding, bringing to life the product vision, and inspiring the team to innovate towards this. We care deeply about helping our customers eat better, and our chefs are masters of delivering on that. Our digital experiences need to enable this in a clear and surprisingly delightful way.
This role manages our Product Design, Product Copywriting, and Research & Insights teams - currently six employees with a plan to grow to 18. You will collaborate closely with the Marketing team (especially our Creative Director) to ensure the brand direction is cohesive across all of CookUnity.
Some of the best Chefs in America will be your close collaborators. Not only CookUnity's "rising stars", but also the well-known Chefs we've partnered with as part of our Creators Club (e.g. Pierre Thiam, Esther Choi, JJ Johnson, Ali Maffucci, Marc Forgione, Einat Admony, and more!).
As a leader in a high-growth startup, you’ll report directly to our Chief Product Officer and partner closely with CookUnity’s founder/CEO and leaders in Engineering, Marketing, CX, Operations, Chef Success, and the local markets to establish the company strategy, OKRs, and roadmap, while owning the research and product design direction and goals.
You can hear more about some of our research practices on the UserTesting Human Insights podcast.
This is a full-time hire.
- Own the company’s research and digital product design strategy.
- Grow the design team and, more importantly, the impact and quality of the solutions.
- Mentor your team and the company on design thinking and product design best practices.
- Lead all research activities for CookUnity (frequent surveys, user interviews, in-product testing) across both eaters and chefs, and collaborate with Product and Data to draw out insights for action on the teams.
- Be a source for breakthrough ideas, particularly ones that result dramatically better customer happiness.
- Lead concept testing to evaluate creative opportunities in the user experience.
- Extend our design system to better ensure a consistent user experience and a faster design and development process.
- Keep internal and external team members up-to-date on progress and learnings.
- 10+ years of experience in product design, at least 4+ years focused on consumer marketplace or e-commerce products.
- 4+ years of experience managing designers.
- You're experienced in leading, resourcing, and building cross-functional teams.
- You have demonstrated the ability to operate successfully in a time-sensitive and fast-paced environment.
- You have experience as a strategic design leader and collaborating with executives.
- You have a mastery of modern UX research techniques.
- You have proven experience creating beautiful, easy-to-use, mobile-first, high-converting digital shopping experiences.
- You love food!
- Health Insurance coverage.
- Stock Options plan.
- Fitness subsidies.
- Access to a nutritional coach to help you build a healthy lifestyle.
- Compassionate, Caregiver, or Bereavement Leave: 3 – 5 days each time the need arises.
- Parental Leave: 12 weeks at full pay for primary caregiver and 4 weeks for secondary caregiver.
- A generous amount of CookUnity credits to enjoy our amazing meals, added to your account, monthly.
- Flexible schedule and remote work opportunities available within the calendar year.
- Awesome opportunity to join a company that is looking to change how we eat and how chefs work!
If you’re interested in this role, please submit your application and if we think you might be a fit, we'll get in touch with you. Thank you for your time!