Join Axon and be a Force for Good.
At Axon, we’re on a mission to Protect Life. We’re explorers, pursuing society’s most critical safety and justice issues with our ecosystem of devices and cloud software. Like our products, we work better together. We connect with candor and care, seeking out diverse perspectives from our customers, communities and each other.
Life at Axon is fast-paced, challenging and meaningful. Here, you’ll take ownership and drive real change. Constantly grow as you work hard for a mission that matters at a company where you matter.
The Real Time Operations division at Axon is on a mission to provide the best-in-class situational awareness software to emergency responders in order to make them more effective and efficient in managing life-and-death situations. As a staff software engineer, you will be joining a team that is focused on building a fast and performant real-time maps application that can ingest real-time signals from devices at scale, and provide emergency responders with the features and functionality to focus on the most pertinent information for dealing with the situation at hand. You will take the lead for designing and building critical systems across the cloud, web, and mobile to direct first responders to where they are most needed.
You will join forces with device and back-end teams to efficiently source realtime geo-located data from devices in the field such as patrol cars, body cameras and drones. You will join forces with communications teams responsible for streaming realtime media feeds and other signals from devices. You will join forces with application, customer and third party teams to ensure our users have other data they need to make tough decisions. You will write code that efficiently brings these data feeds together on a single map, allowing our users to make better decisions, saving lives.
In this role, you will be reporting directly to the senior director of engineering for the Real Time Operations division. As a technical leader, you will be advising the division on the right long-term technical initiatives to invest in, and act as a force multiplier on the team, working intimately with other senior engineers in the division to guide and grow them. You are a great collaborator and coach, and will mentor our next set of senior engineers.
Your customer empathy and eagerness to understand users and their problems allows you to balance competing business and engineering priorities, helping to steer the team to achieve the best outcomes.
What You’ll Do
Location: Remote, United States
Reports to: Senior Director of Engineering
- Be the technical leader of our device state/notifications, partner integration and mobile apps teams for Real Time Operations division
- Lead designs of major software components, systems, and features.
- Review key architecture designs from senior engineers across other teams, and enforce a high bar on availability, performance, and usability in this mission-critical space
- Set a high technical bar for the team by writing well-tested, maintainable code and leading code and technical design reviews
- Join forces with other senior engineers on assessing the top engineering risks and guiding the organization on which strategic engineering initiatives to invest in
- Mentor and coach other senior engineers and grow the next set of technical leaders for the organization
- Work across teams with Product, Design, and Engineering to drive and deliver on our product roadmap
- Deliver groundbreaking experiences that help improve safety and efficiency of our users globally.
What You Bring
- 8+ years of professional software development experience
- Proven track record of designing and building complex, highly-available cloud systems
- Experience with different types of data storage systems, such as relational and NoSQL databases
- Experience with stream processing (Message brokers)
- (Nice to have) Experience with web frontend technologies like React, Redux and Typescript
- (Nice to have) Experience working with native mobile apps iOS or Android
- (Nice to have) Experience with Maps/Cartography
- Mentored and grown other senior software engineers
- Can walk in the customer’s shoes, and collaborate with product and design on designing features that delight customers
Benefits that Benefit You
- Competitive salary and 401k with employer match
- Discretionary paid time off
- Paid parental leave for all
- Medical, Dental, Vision plans
- Fitness Programs
- Emotional & Mental Wellness support
- Learning & Development programs
- And yes, we have snacks in our offices
Benefits listed herein may vary depending on the nature of your employment and the location where you work
The Pay: Axon is a total compensation company, meaning compensation is made up of base pay, bonus, and stock awards. The starting base pay for this role is between USD 200,000 in the lowest geographic market and USD 290,000 in the highest geographic market. The on target earnings range for this role is between USD 340,000 in the lowest geographic market and USD 550,000 in the highest geographic market. The actual base pay is dependent upon many factors, such as: level, function, training, transferable skills, work experience, business needs, geographic market, and often a combination of all these factors. Our benefits offer an array of options to help support you physically, financially and emotionally through the big milestones and in your everyday life. To see more details on our benefits offerings please visit www.axon.com/careers/benefits (http://www.axon.com/careers/benefits).
Don’t meet every single requirement? That's ok. At Axon, we Aim Far. We think big with a long-term view because we want to reinvent the world to be a safer, better place. We are also committed to building diverse teams that reflect the communities we serve.
Studies have shown that women and people of color are less likely to apply to jobs unless they check every box in the job description. If you’re excited about this role and our mission to Protect Life but your experience doesn’t align perfectly with every qualification listed here, we encourage you to apply anyways. You may be just the right candidate for this or other roles.
The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may also require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.
Axon’s mission is to Protect Life and is committed to the well-being and safety of its employees as well as Axon’s impact on the environment. All Axon employees must be aware of and committed to the appropriate environmental, health, and safety regulations, policies, and procedures. Axon employees are empowered to report safety concerns as they arise and activities potentially impacting the environment.
We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes justice, advances equity, values diversity and fosters inclusion. We’re committed to hiring the best talent — regardless of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances — and empowering all of our employees so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or special need that requires assistance or accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email email@example.com. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.