Join Axon and be a Force for Good.
At Axon, we’re on a mission to Protect Life. We’re explorers, pursuing society’s most critical safety and justice issues with our ecosystem of devices and cloud software. Like our products, we work better together. We connect with candor and care, seeking out diverse perspectives from our customers, communities and each other.
Life at Axon is fast-paced, challenging and meaningful. Here, you’ll take ownership and drive real change. Constantly grow as you work hard for a mission that matters at a company where you matter.
We are an equal opportunity employer that promotes justice, advances equity, values diversity and fosters inclusion. We’re committed to hiring the best talent — regardless of race, creed, color, ancestry, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship status, marital status, disability, gender identity, genetic information, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by applicable laws, regulations and ordinances — and empowering all of our employees so they can do their best work. If you have a disability or special need that requires assistance or accommodation during the application or the recruiting process, please email email@example.com. Please note that this email address is for accommodation purposes only. Axon will not respond to inquiries for other purposes.
Location: Scottsdale, AZ or Seattle, WA
Axon Business Intelligence
The Axon BI team is on a mission to create and foster a company-wide data culture by consuming necessary data from various sources, structuring data in a way that just makes sense, equipping stakeholders of any technical depth with tools to access and understand the data, and delivering insights that further our mission to Protect Life. Axon BI’s Data Engineering squad is tasked with getting the right data into the BI environment in a secure, compliant, and reliable way. They own architecture, infrastructure, system-of-record data ingestion, CI/CD, security, and compliance. Members of this squad interface closely with the other Axon BI squads (Axon Data Warehouse and Data Science & Analysis), as well as system-of-record engineers, security engineers, and site reliability engineers.
As the Senior Data Engineer in the Business Intelligence team, you will be considered a technical leader, playing an integral role in democratizing data and insights across Axon. You will be responsible for integrating, transforming, and consolidating data from various systems-of-record into foundational data structures that are optimized for reporting and analytics. You will take our team to a new level in how we store, manage, monitor, and secure data using the full stack of cloud-based data services.
You will think big and long-term, while remaining agile and flexible. Your high standards and industry experience will help our team continue to raise the bar for BI, and your helpful and “can do” attitude will make others want to partner closely with you. You have a problem-solving mindset, with the tenacity to push through ambiguous obstacles, develop better ways of doing things, and thrive in a fast-paced environment.
Your Day to Day
- Range of Influence. You take the lead in identifying, designing, implementing, and successfully delivering large-scale data solutions. You are a data engineering thought-leader in everything from architecture, data security, and operational excellence to data modelling, data discovery, and data quality.
- Strategy. You influence our team’s technical and business strategy by making insightful contributions to priorities and overall data approach. You show good judgment when making technical trade-offs between short-term stakeholder asks and long-term business and technology needs.
- Coding. You contribute to a significant portion of “critical-path” code, setting an example for data engineering best practices. Your code is easily maintainable, appropriately scalable, and extensible. You proactively document your work.
- Leadership. You lead productive design reviews and code reviews. You actively participate in the hiring process as well as mentor others – improving their skills, knowledge of data engineering software, and ability to get things done.
- Communication & Influence. You communicate your ideas effectively, harmonize discordant views, and work to build consensus.
- Bachelor's Degree in Information Systems, Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
- 5+ years of work experience in data engineering, business intelligence, software engineering, or related field.
- 3+ years of experience using industry-standard, cloud-based (AWS or Azure) solutions for data ingestion, storage, warehousing, ETL, performance tuning, and monitoring.
- 3+ years of regular experience with large-scale, complex datasets (measured in TB or higher).
- Experience architecting large-scale BI solutions, including knowledge of data-modeling best-practices.
- Advanced SQL skills and intermediate scripting experience.
- Experience using JSON, XML and/or C#.
- Experience partnering with business and/or product teams to propose, write requirements for, and implement new telemetry.
- First-hand experience dealing with pros and cons of near real-time data.
- Proven track record of successful written and verbal communication to stakeholders of varying technical depth.
- Ability to work independently with minimal direct supervision in a fast-paced environment, solving ambiguous problems.
- Optimistic attitude and highly collaborative.
- Availability to participate in on-call rotation, which may include after-hours or weekend support.
- Intermediate-to-advanced knowledge of Azure data solutions, specifically: Synapse Analytics, Data Factory, Data Lake Storage, Databricks, Data Purview (or Data Catalog), Event Hubs, and Power BI Embedded.
- Advanced experience writing in Python, Scala, SparkSQL, or PowerShell.
- Experience extracting and transforming data from Salesforce, Dynamics, Mixpanel, or Splunk.
- Experience with SQL Database Administration, including: maintaining and troubleshooting high availability configurations (HA Pair); managing backup and recovery processes, ensuring data retention is working as expected; managing database access in a scalable, strategic manner; and productionalizing/troubleshooting performance issues.
- A sense of humor.
NOTE: The above job description is not intended as, nor should it be construed as, exhaustive of all duties, responsibilities, skills, efforts, or working conditions associated with this job. The job description may change or be supplemented at any time in accordance with business needs and conditions.
Some roles may also require legal eligibility to work in a firearms environment.