At Wheely, we're a luxury brand on the outside, but a technology company on the inside, building the world's first Luxury-as-a-Service. We believe that time is the ultimate luxury and that modern engineering and design, combined with the industry’s highest standards of service, can unlock an unparalleled experience for our customers. From on-demand chauffeuring, concierge service, to our best-in-class app, we exist to help our clients reclaim their time by connecting them to the places and people that matter.
More than 40% of our team works in product & engineering, and both Wheely founders are technical. We are also unapologetically design centric. It’s not about A/B testing one hundred shades of blue, but crafting the perfect shade. We also take a privacy-first approach and believe that where people travel, and who they travel with, is at their discretion.
We have refused government requests to hand over journey data, and are currently developing bespoke technology to put our clients’ movements beyond even our own reach.
Backed by leading global investors, Wheely is poised for the next phase of our journey. Over the next 5-10 years, we plan to offer a full portfolio of luxury services and expand into more international cities, building on our success in London, Paris, and Dubai.
We are seeking a dynamic and experienced senior counsel to lead our legal team within the EMEA region. The ideal candidate will have a strong foundation and well rounded experience across various legal disciplines including commercial contracts, data privacy, regulatory compliance, private capital markets, and company secretarial matters. The candidate will have a minimum of 8 years of post-qualification experience (PQE) in a top-level international law firm (ILF) and in-house corporate experience as a leader. This is a unique opportunity to contribute to the growth and success of a cutting-edge technology company in the fast-paced and dynamic ride-hailing industry.
- Draft, review, and negotiate a variety of agreements including software subscriptions, goods and services vendors, real estate, and employment
- Ensure alignment of contractual agreements with the company's strategy and legal objectives including data privacy and intellectual property protection
Capital markets / investor relations:
- Supporting CFO and external counsel on deal structuring, financing, negotiating transaction documentation and transaction closings
- Assisting with related corporate law / company secretarial matters
Regulatory / licensing
- Ensure compliance with legislation including private hire regulation and data protection across operational geographies
- Establish relationships with pertinent regulators; stay abreast and advise management of evolving regulatory trends
Collaborate / Training:
- Work closely with cross-functional teams to address legal considerations across business operations, product development and geographical expansion
- Conduct training sessions and develop internal procedures and policies for internal stakeholders to raise awareness, scale processes and ensure ongoing regulatory compliance
- Manage team of 2 lawyers that is expected to grow as company expands geographically
- Continual optimization of the Legal function
Qualifications / Requirements:
- Bachelor of Law (LLB), Juris Doctor (JD) or equivalent legal qualification
- Qualified in the UK, US or similar common law jurisdiction
- 8+ years of post-qualification experience (PQE) in a top-level international law firm (with a focus on commercial and corporate law) plus in-house corporate experience as a leader
- Experience within technology, finance and mobility sectors are a plus
- Commercially pragmatic – able to take a commercial view on legal risk and comfortable taking personal responsibility for judgement calls when instructions are incomplete or ambiguous
- Excellent negotiation, communication, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a fast-paced, dynamic environment and manage multiple priorities
- Strategic in approach, focusing on the company’s medium and long-term goals
- Attention to detail
What we offer
Wheely expects the very best from our people, both on the road and in the office. In return, employees enjoy flexible working hours, stock options and an exceptional range of perks and benefits.
- Competitive salary and equity package
- Medical insurance, including dental services
- Life and critical illness insurance
- Monthly credit for Wheely journeys
- Lunch allowance
- Cycle to work scheme
- Professional development subsidies
- Best-in-class equipment
- Relocation allowance (dependant on role level)
- Wheely has an in-person culture but allows flexible working hours and work from home when needed.
Wheely is an equal opportunity employer. We celebrate diversity and are committed to creating an inclusive environment for all employees.
All of your personal information will be collected stored and processed in accordance with Wheely’s Candidate Privacy Notice