PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Senior Character/Rigging TD
This is a contracted position through our staffing partner DZConneX with a high likelihood of extension.
Remote, United States
PlayStation Studios Visual Arts on our San Diego campus provides world-class content, development and services to PlayStation Studios. We offer a full-service production studio with an emphasis in art and animation, as well as previsualization, cinematics, character creation, motion capture, software development, and face/body scanning, tracking and solving.
We are looking for an experienced Senior Character Technical Director to join our sunny San Diego, California development team. This role requires strong Maya rigging/setup skills as well as understanding of anatomy and realistic deformation to deliver consistent results that are done efficiently, timely, meeting the technical/animation requirements, and most importantly maintaining the industry-leading quality PlayStation’s award-winning first party lineup is known for.
Our team is always at the cutting edge of technology and partners with the industry’s best minds and companies: Naughty Dog, Santa Monica Studios, Guerrilla Games, Japan Studios, and other Sony PlayStation first-party studios. This is your opportunity to work closely with game and film industry professionals from all over the world and under one roof!
- Set up and maintain character (humans and animals) rigs.
- Work with art team to generate models that meet deformation requirements.
- Work with animation team to create artist-friendly rigs that satisfy animation and gameplay needs.
- Set up character dynamics (i.e. cloth, hair).
- Create and support rigging/animation tools as needed.
- Provide and maintain technical documentation.
Required Experience and Skills
- Strong knowledge of Maya, with minimum of 4 years of production experience in game or film/vfx fields.
- Understanding of character/prop rigging techniques and principles.
- Familiarity with figure and facial anatomy.
- Experience in adopting production pipelines and following guidelines and system requirements.
- Strong troubleshooting skills and the ability to find pragmatic solutions.
- Python and Maya scripting proficiency.
- Proven ability to be self-sufficient and be proactive in preventing/solving production issues.
- Effective communication skills.
Maya API (Python and/or C++)
Familiarity in runtime performance efficiency and optimization
Please note that the individual base pay range may vary based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for benefit offerings that include medical, dental, and vision. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.